IG pool short time fix

Jun 12, 2012
Escondido, CA.
We've just moved into a home that has an existing pool (roughly 20x40 kidney shape) that the realtor said was possibly original or close to original.. read 15 years old.. Its showing its age a bit but is sound. no cracks, leaks serious "wounds" to the surface etc.. but it does have some dark marks in some parts of the plaster and what looks like "scaling"; area's where the pool finish is smooth then rough "Blotchy"..etc.

Because we've just moved in and the wife is busy "nesting" new funiture etc..Its gonna be a while before we can do any major repairs on the pool. I've discovered that a new pool finish Pebble-Tec etc will be in the neighborhood of 5-10 grand..

So my question is there anything wrong with draining the pool, acid washing the surface .. painting over the imperfections to hide them and buying myself a few years of delayed pool surface maintenance

Provided everything else is sound, you can probably get away with that strategy. Pool surface painting is all about preparation. You do not list your location, so be careful of a couple areas:

1. Water Table - if it is high in your area, you will not want to leave the pool empty for long. Pick a window where the weather forecast is favorable (no rain).

2. If discoloration is due to rebar rusting through the plaster finish, it will be best to get these areas repaired, as the rust will come right back through the newly painted finish.

Sorry.. I'm in Escondido.. just north of San Diego.. read hot and dry this time of year.. the water table is not a problem as We're up on a hill.. The discoloration is not rebar.. I see no rust etc.. the pool bottom just looks old.. Kinda like this.. but not as bad
canon_eos_test_2%20010.jpg

Looks like an interim paint job will work fine for you. The paint will be expensive at approx $75 per gallon. Most are a two part product that will need to be applied within an hour, so work fast with an assistant.

Use short nap rollers that will hold up with the epoxy paint, and plan them as a one time use item. Have thinner available for cleanup.

I'm completely uninformed on the subject but I have read others stating never ever paint your pool. Can't comment on whether or not it's true but I've followed the debate in other threads, some contend that it doesn't last long and starts to peel.

Just an FYI.

cramar said:
I'm completely uninformed on the subject but I have read others stating never ever paint your pool. Can't comment on whether or not it's true but I've followed the debate in other threads, some contend that it doesn't last long and starts to peel.

Just an FYI.

If I can get 3-4 years further down the road before the paint starts to have problems then all will be good... and FWIW Im not doing this myself... "A man's got to know when to write a check!" This is one of thoes times

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.