Dark Yellow Reading For Total Chlorine Test

That's the info we needed!

thetinkerer said:
also high Chlorine levels are not healthy to swim in..
This is a generalization and ignores the fact that you have cya in pool holding some to the chlorine in reserve...and that chlorine is not as "active". TFP recommendation is it is safe to swim in FC levels up to your shock level (which is 18 ppm and 60 ppm per poolcalcultor). At this level, you pool has much less active chlorine present then most public pools run at.

thetinkerer said:
...the ladies are sensitive..
Most sensitivity is to poorly managed ph or presence of CCs and has nothing to do with FC levels.

thetinkerer said:
aa62579 said:
thetinkerer said:
yes i ran my test yesterday FC was between 15 and 20 ppm and CC was 0 -.5 ppm

Why do you not know the exact number for FC? How many drops did you use?

I used the FAS-DPD chlorine test to measure CC and FC.

That measures by 0.5 increments. You should know if your FC is 15 or 15.5. It should not be a guess between 15 and 20.

thetinkerer said:
checked my book - I ran it once and got 18ppm and 20ppm on the second test...it's based on the number of drops so dont see how it cannot be in half increments??? anyway those are the numbers I got....

That makes more sense. You ran the test two times and got two different numbers. I took it that you tested once and were reporting your FC as between 15 and 20.

You are ready to swim at any time.
Don't let your FC fall below 5.

It depends on your sample size, if you use a 10 ml sample, each drop equals 0.5 ppm, so 10 drops = 5 ppm.

If you are saying you used 18 drops and then 20 drops, the FC would be 9 and 10 ppm respectively.

So your CC's were never really high I'm guessing. You just didn't have a clear understanding of the tests. It seems you have a good grasp of the ideas now and can proceed accordingly. Keep reading the articles in Pool School and it will get easier and easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.