Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: verifying instructions

1. Back To Top    #1

verifying instructions

I'm getting ready to start the procedure to get rid of mustard algae, and I wanted to make sure I understand the directions correctly. From the way I read it, I need to make sure when I first shock at the "regular" level, and then again at the mustard algae level, I need to test and add chlorine to keep the FC at shock value for the entire shock process. I don't just add chlorine up to shock level and then run the pump for 24 hours, correct?

Kelley
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: verifying instructions

You run the pump 24/7 through the whole procedure, and test/adjust FC levels as frequently as practical, up to once per hour. Checking the FC level frequently is especially important at the start of the process.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

when I first shock at the "regular" level, and then again at the mustard algae level,
    Not sure what you mean but bring your FC right up to Mustard algae level on the first dose and then keep it there.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    when I first shock at the "regular" level, and then again at the mustard algae level,
    Not sure what you mean but bring your FC right up to Mustard algae level on the first dose and then keep it there.
    The instructions in Pool School say to bring it up to normal shock value first, then to mustard algae level. But, if it's fine to bring it right up to mustard algae level, that's what I'll do.
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is only important to have FC at mustard algae shock level for the final 24 hours. You can raise FC above regular shock during the earlier portion of the process if you want but it is a very slight waste of chlorine to raise FC earlier.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School