Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leak revisited....

1. Back To Top    #1

leak revisited....

have a nagging leak...

1/2" over night ( 9 hrs) while returns and suction including bottom drain ( piece of liner, 5 gal bucket w/ 50 lbs on bucket) are plugged.
    did the bucket test, i used red food coloring around all joints including light to no avail.

So its the liner right? I have been all over that liner ( it seems) squirting the dye.... i have let it "leak out" to where the leak all but subsided and still cant see it. ( when the pool is full it leaks much faster)

Help
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leak revisited....

If it leaks to a point and then stops except for evaporation then it's going to be real close to the place it stopped. Are you pretty sure you have the main drain sealed off?
    Was there anything like a light, etc. at the place it stopped leaking? Some liner patterns hide a nick in the liner really well. Id' very closely inspect the liner all the way around the line where the leak stops.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    If it leaks to a point and then stops except for evaporation then it's going to be real close to the place it stopped. Are you pretty sure you have the main drain sealed off?
    Was there anything like a light, etc. at the place it stopped leaking? Some liner patterns hide a nick in the liner really well. Id' very closely inspect the liner all the way around the line where the leak stops.

I dont know how good the main is sealed. have a big piece of liner over it, 5 gal bucket on top of that and 40 to 50 lbs on the top of bucket and i pull a good prime from it when the skimmer is off so i am thinking that not it...

light, no it was well below where it "almost " stopped going down

guess i have to let it drain down again....

thanks
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

4. Back To Top    #4

It could be the light conduit leaking. If that's the case it could be above the actual light itself. Also it would be hard to test with dye without pulling the light out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit