Question on opening pool with a sand filter

eras2r

Jun 1, 2012
Last year I had a small Intex Easy Set and knowing I would be upgrading this year, I purchased and hooked up a Hayward 1HP 16" Sand Filter. The filter was winterized and is already loaded with sand.

On to this year we have set up an Intex Ultraframe 18' x 48" pool. I have made all of the modifications to use the sand filter again. I am just not sure of the process of opening a sand filter that already has sand in it. Am I supposed to take the top valve off again and fill it with water like I did when I added sand? Am I just supposed to let gravity prime the pump/filter then backwash and rinse before I set it to filter setting?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Good question and one I don't recall seeing before.

I would remove the top simply for a visual inspection of the sand. Clean out any junk that accumulated and check to see you have the correct level of sand. (Should be somewhere between 2/3 to 3/4 full...most are marked)

If all looks well, hook it up and let gravity fill it or simply turn on the pump immediately to backwash to flush it out a little.

duraleigh is correct. If it is an older filter, check it out. If its only a season old, just hook it up and let gravity fill it. Once the pool is full you can fire it up. I would also have it in backwash mode before you fire it up just incase there is anything in the system from storage. Then rinse, then filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.