Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on opening pool with a sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on opening pool with a sand filter

Last year I had a small Intex Easy Set and knowing I would be upgrading this year, I purchased and hooked up a Hayward 1HP 16" Sand Filter. The filter was winterized and is already loaded with sand.

On to this year we have set up an Intex Ultraframe 18' x 48" pool. I have made all of the modifications to use the sand filter again. I am just not sure of the process of opening a sand filter that already has sand in it. Am I supposed to take the top valve off again and fill it with water like I did when I added sand? Am I just supposed to let gravity prime the pump/filter then backwash and rinse before I set it to filter setting?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Question on opening pool with a sand filter

Good question and one I don't recall seeing before.

I would remove the top simply for a visual inspection of the sand. Clean out any junk that accumulated and check to see you have the correct level of sand. (Should be somewhere between 2/3 to 3/4 full...most are marked)

If all looks well, hook it up and let gravity fill it or simply turn on the pump immediately to backwash to flush it out a little.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. Everything turned out great.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mesquite, Texas

duraleigh is correct. If it is an older filter, check it out. If its only a season old, just hook it up and let gravity fill it. Once the pool is full you can fire it up. I would also have it in backwash mode before you fire it up just incase there is anything in the system from storage. Then rinse, then filter.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator