I got my test kit - here are my numbers!

leigh

Apr 14, 2008
Charlotte NC
Okay....I was using the test strips and managed to get my pool to the point that I can see the bottom well, but the water is a little cloudy. I got my test kit today...here are my numbers...

FC 2.5
CC 2.5
TC 5
pH 6.8
T/A 110
CH didn't test - AGP
CYA black dot never disappeared....

So, what now???

Also, when we took the steps out last year, the sand bags opened and and fell into the pool. It was too cold and they were too heavy to fish out. Now....there're still there. Are they messing up my readings? Or my conversion? Do I need to get them out?

TIA!!!

Hi, Leigh,

First just a note for any other new posters. Keep all your story together in one thread. It makes it much easier to see the history of what's been said to this point. I can also see how you would assume this is a new subject but this would've been a little better as a continuous story.

1. Yes! Yes! Yes! Get the sandbags out. they may still contain some residual baquagoo and will be a breeding ground for algae.

2. You need more chlorine. Calculate enough to bring your FC up to around 10-15ppm and put it in in the evening. Test to see how much was used up the next morning. The conversion will only be complete when the chlorine will stay steady overnight. That means A LOT more chlorine every day. Chlorine kills the baqua but, in so doing, it gets consumed. As long as the chlorine is droppiong overnite, there is more baqua to be killed.

3. YOu have no CYA (that's when the dot never disappears). I would suggest that's ok for now. Your chlorine will get eaten by the sun during the day a little faster but I wouldn't put the CYA in there until the conversion is virtually compleated.

4. Your pH is too low. get some 20 mule team borax at the grocery store and bring your pH up to around 7.2. Use JasonLions calculator in his signature to help figure out the dosage.

So, for now, get those sandbags out one way or another and keep vacuuming the pool and running your pump and adding chlorine. Once your pool is cleaned up and the baqua gone, it'll be easy to control your other numbers.

duraleigh said:
Hi, Leigh,

First just a note for any other new posters. Keep all your story together in one thread. It makes it much easier to see the history of what's been said to this point. I can also see how you would assume this is a new subject but this would've been a little better as a continuous story. :oops: sorry....you're right....I did assume it would be a new thread....I'll remember that for the future
1. Yes! Yes! Yes! Get the sandbags out. they may still contain some residual baquagoo and will be a breeding ground for algae.

2. You need more chlorine. Calculate enough to bring your FC up to around 10-15ppm and put it in in the evening. Test to see how much was used up the next morning. The conversion will only be complete when the chlorine will stay steady overnight. That means A LOT more chlorine every day. Chlorine kills the baqua but, in so doing, it gets consumed. As long as the chlorine is droppiong overnite, there is more baqua to be killed.

3. YOu have no CYA (that's when the dot never disappears). I would suggest that's ok for now. Your chlorine will get eaten by the sun during the day a little faster but I wouldn't put the CYA in there until the conversion is virtually compleated.

4. Your pH is too low. get some 20 mule team borax at the grocery store and bring your pH up to around 7.2. Use JasonLions calculator in his signature to help figure out the dosage.

So, for now, get those sandbags out one way or another and keep vacuuming the pool and running your pump and adding chlorine. Once your pool is cleaned up and the baqua gone, it'll be easy to control your other numbers.
Okay....going to the store tonight! Thanks for the help! I'm sure I'll be back (soon!).

So....I went to the store last night, got what I needed, came home and put it in. THen went in to lay down with my 3yo and went to sleep :roll: . Which means I didn't come back out and check the chlorine. Which leads me to another question. How quickly after pouring the bleach in can I check chlorine levels? I did get up and check chlorine and pH......FC 5 and pH 7.8. So, although I put in what the calculator said (or was trying to....probably made a mistake), I sent my pH levels too high.

I got my sand bags out yesterday! Immediately understood why I was still losing chlorine - the sand was growing beautiful green algae. So, new numbers...

Put in bleach last night then checked... FC 16. This morning, it was down to 13FC. We had quite a bit of rain last night....could that have affected the chlorine levels?

Hi, Leigh,

Good work on the sandbags. The rain will have little affect on your FC level in an AG pool. You are most likely still killing some organics so you have a ways to go.

My experience has been that you simply cannot get everything killed in there in a short time. I can't explain why but you simply have to plan on several days of decreasing Cl consumption before your FC levels hold completely overnight.

With a loss of only 3ppm however, it seems like your getting close. Bring it back up to 16 or so again tonight (you'll still have some this evening in this cloudy weather) and measure tomorrow AM. It'll get less and less each day.

We only lost 1ppm of FC overnight!! (and my water is beautiful!) I've been losing 3ppm overnight for the last few nights. But, I'm losing ALL my FC during the day. So, is it time for CYA? Do I change the filter sand before or after adding CYA?

Good, you are moving along!

If your CC level is reasonable, say 3 or lower, you can go ahead and change the sand and start adding CYA. It is best to put the CYA in a sock and either toss that in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return. As long as you do that, and don't pour the CYA into the skimmer, you can change the sand at your convenience.

Before adding the CYA, measure the PH while FC levels are low (below 10), and adjust the PH back to between 7.2 and 7.4. Once you add the CYA it will be easier to keep the FC level high and the PH test is not reliable when the FC level is high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leigh,

It's been a couple of weeks since you've posted some test results (I think) Post those up on the forum. It's not clear to me why you want to change the sand.....refresh my memory. :lol:

duraleigh said:
Leigh,

It's been a couple of weeks since you've posted some test results (I think) Post those up on the forum. It's not clear to me why you want to change the sand.....refresh my memory. :lol:

Conversion from baquacil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.