Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not to lower?

1. Back To Top    #1

Not to lower?

The Pool School says "You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number."

My TA is about 140 my PH is about 7.5 or a little higher but not near 7.8
    had someone else do the color comparison for the ph test they guessed 7.5
    I dont have good eye sight so I could be a little wrong

should I lower my TA?

im not swimming yet cause I haven't got everything checked off
    im still trying to do an OCLT before i let people in the pool
    Am I correct on that or should i let it go and let people swim and do it later?

I decided to add about 2 lbs of dry acid to see the effect is has without
    adding the full amount as required in the PS and the PC
    Am going to wait about 4 hours and test along with the chlorine test

Im switching to bleach. I am still unsure about my cya ratings still guesstimating
    with the taylor test kit due to bad eyes. chlorine's about 4 at the moment

cya is above 20 ... was about 50 a week ago and required to much chlorine for my CC
    so i vacuumed and refilled at the same time twice to get it down
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not to lower?

Only reason to lower the TA is if you feel the pH is drifting up faster than you like. If pH is pretty stable, no reason to mess with the TA.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

when doing to OCLT should i keep the pump running all night?

Does a shadow cast over the whole pool for the rest of the day
    count as a starting point for an OCLT?

Is it ok to compensate for sunlight when adding bleach so your
    adding more bleach than the target requirement and still be safe to swim?

Does rust eat away chlorine?
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Keep the pump running so everything is mixed well when you check FC in the morning.
    yes, add more. You can swim up to your shock level. After a while you'll get a feel for how your FC is used during the day and will know where to start.
    I can't imagine rust eating chlorine. I ran through the possible equations in my head, can't think of how it would.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wouldn't I be able to buy a new auto chlorine feeder made for tablets and use it instead for a daily dose of half a gallon of liquid chlorine of course not set on 10 but maybe like 3 so it slowly mixes and adds?

Where can I buy a drum of chlorine for cheap?

6. Back To Top    #6

Would work for a little while until your CYA was too high from all the tablets.

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

CYAs at 20 buying another feeder with no tri or di chlor residue is alot cheaper than a 200 dollar Liquidator .. although it does hold more im not sure if it's adjustable.

Does cal hypo add the same amount of calcium no matter what strength you use?

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm adding a gallon of 12.5% and 2 lbs of dry acid a day. My TA wont fall below 130 ... Am I adding acid to slowly?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by SHADEZ
    Does cal hypo add the same amount of calcium no matter what strength you use?
    The calcium is in proportion to the FC ... higher FC = higher calcium

I'm adding a gallon of 12.5% and 2 lbs of dry acid a day. My TA wont fall below 130 ... Am I adding acid to slowly?
    It does not matter how quickly you add the acid. If you want to specifically work on the TA, follow the pool school article: Lowering Total Alkalinity
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

how to circulate chemicals during a power outage? besides vigorously brushing?

11. Back To Top    #11

Some people have a Generator. Otherwise you just have to brush a lot.

Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

how to circulate chemicals during a power outage? besides vigorously brushing?
    Canoe paddle?

Brush with a Wall Whale moves a lot of water.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

13. Back To Top    #13

Tablet feeders designed to work with trichlor tablets will not work with bleach/liquid chlorine nor will they work with cal-hypo tablets. They only work with trichlor tablets (and often bromine tablets).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School