Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC piping a filter question????

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC piping a filter question????

Hi
    I'm thinking about piping my filter with PVC my questions are if I have a long run for the supply and return lines will it effect the performance of the filter or damage it by making it work to hard the pump is a 1 hp 60 gpm Hayward and the run is about 24 ft and also what depth should I put them I will blow them out when I winterize. And anything else I should know? Thankyou

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC piping a filter question????

That does not sound like too long of a run.

Using a larger pipe greatly reduces the head loss. You could probably use 1.5" but 2" would be better.

If you are going to blow them out for winter, I would say you still want them at least a foot down. Also running a tracer wire above the pipe might be a good idea for future reference.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've got a 1 HP pump and I'm running about about 40' to the far end of my solar panels and that includes a 10' vertical run up to the roof, my pump handled it no problem.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

There's a lot more we need to know before we can answer that question properly.

Is this an aboveground or inground pool?
    What is your location?
    What model is the pump?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler

What is your location?
    What model is the pump?

Semi inground
    northeast. Long island
    Haywood pump 1 hp. 60gpm. Not sure of model could check in mornin if that important

Thankyou for the help

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    That does not sound like too long of a run.

Using a larger pipe greatly reduces the head loss. You could probably use 1.5" but 2" would be better.

If you are going to blow them out for winter, I would say you still want them at least a foot down. Also running a tracer wire above the pipe might be a good idea for future reference.

The 2" will give me more volume of water but will that reduce the pressure at the return in the pool. Thankyou for the help

7. Back To Top    #7

No opposite in fact. The greater flow rate is what you want. You can use the eyeball size to adjust hire strong the jet feels.

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Is it an aboveground that's partially buried or an inground that built up?

It would help to know the model of the pump. They have different curves and without the model it's a guessing game.

In Long Island you probably need to bury the piping 24" deep or more. You may have to meet code there and should probably check with the building athority.

Running 2" plumbing would help. Pool plumbing is inverse to normal thinking. You want to run the plumbing as large as practical because it has less restriction to flow. Which means more flow to the pool, which is a good thing. Smaller plumbing means higher pressure and lower flow to the pool which is a bad thing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman

What is your location?
    What model is the pump?

Semi inground
    northeast. Long island
    Haywood pump 1 hp. 60gpm. Not sure of model could check in mornin if that important

Thankyou for the help
    sorrytook so long to get back.
    The pump is a Hayward power flo LX. Model # sp1580icnp. 1 hp 60 gpm. Hope that helps and the plumbing at the pump is 1 1/2" will 2" work properly ?? Thankyou

10. Back To Top    #10

2" will work fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

2" will work fine.
    will that pump be ok for a 25' run?

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here