Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To shock or not to shock????

1. Back To Top    #1

To shock or not to shock????

I'm pretty sure I'm OK but it's still a little foreign to not shock my pool. I've not "shocked" in almost 2 months now since starting getting the mess caused by poor advice from our pool store sorted out using the BBB method. I'm talking about a non-chlorine type of shock. SWG is set at 20% and keeps the FC between 3.5 and 4.0 consistently. CC stays at zero so is there any real reason to shock or otherwise oxidize the water? Water looks great. Thanks in advance!
    In-ground, vinyl pool, 26,000 gals
    Hayward Sand Filter, Aquarite SWG, Hayward Ecostar Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To shock or not to shock????

If the water looks great and you don't have CC of over .5, then skip the shock. I haven't shocked since I began and if I can get away with it, I'll never shock again.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

3. Back To Top    #3

By the by, in an outdoor pool, non-chlorine shock has no real advantages and costs more. It is less expensive and otherwise just as good to use chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bent6
    I'm pretty sure I'm OK but it's still a little foreign to not shock my pool. I've not "shocked" in almost 2 months now since starting getting the mess caused by poor advice from our pool store sorted out using the BBB method. I'm talking about a non-chlorine type of shock. SWG is set at 20% and keeps the FC between 3.5 and 4.0 consistently. CC stays at zero so is there any real reason to shock or otherwise oxidize the water? Water looks great. Thanks in advance!
    One of the foundations of BBB is to trust your own tests. The whole premise of this process is "taking ownership of your pool".

It's not about what chemicals we put in our water so much as why we put them in there. We understand that certain aspects of water chemistry impact certain things, and know what chemicals, in what amounts, manage those aspects of the water chemistry.

As a result of these things, we look at our test results, and know that there is not only no sign of a problem (CC stays at zero...Water looks great) but, just as importantly, there's no reason for there to be a problem. (FC between 3.5 and 4.0 consistently).

Since we "own our pool" and "trust our own results", we sleep just fine at night knowing there's absolutely no reason to shock our pool...

Regardless of what the industry's been telling us all these years.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink: