Help With Cloudy Water!!

Sasha

Jun 24, 2012
Indiana, PA
Since I started using TFP, I have stopped going to local pool store. I bought the recomended TF 100 test kit. My water is sooo Cloudy, I get this fine brown dust-like matter on the bottom (only) of my pool. I have vacuumed to waste several times and it is still there but getting less everytime. I can see the bottom of my pool..BUT my problem is when I (& Kids) get into the pool and go under the water with goggles on, the water is very cloudy. I can not see the whole way across the pool, only about half way across. My "clean" reading on sand filter is 10 psi and it is only at 12 now, so I haven't backwashed in about 2 weeks. I have tried the clarifier the pool store recommended, but nothing has cleared the cloudiness. I have had my pool at shock level for over 24 hrs now and see no improvement. My filter has been running just about 24 hours a day since the end of May (Memorial Weekend). Here are my readings, any HELP would be greatly appreciated. I have been using only liquid bleach to chlorinate and shock.
FC 18.5 (that was bfore I added more to bring up to 19.8 shock level again)
CC .5
PH 7.8 (Just think it's reading high since chlorine is so high)
TA 120
CYA 50
CH 260

Sasha

and it is still there but getting less everytime.
There is the answer. Cloudy pools cannot be cleared as fast as any of us would like. You must keep doing what you are doing and keep the FC up and the pool will clear.

Your psi indicates a 20% increase so I would backwash.

I would also probably not vacuum to waste but keep filtering and backwashing regularly. It's a personal preference but water is tough for me to come by so I just let the filter do the work. You can also judge your progress somewhat better by how your backwash intervals will be further and further apart.

Yes water is very hard for me to come by also, living in the country on well water. When I vacuum the brown dust-like material up it just blows back in the pool, so that is why i was vacumming to waste. It has taken the 2 weeks to reach the 12 psi point right now. But I will back wash in the morning. And also go test the FC again, and then test in the morning to see If i am losing any. Should I keep the FC at shock level till the cloudiness goes away under the water??

Sasha said:
Thank you for the welcome!!Yes the reading goes down to zero when turned off.
okay, good.

I have never cleaned the sand filter, Didn't know I had to or even how to.
Here's a link on the How-to: my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

What is an OCLT??
Well, it lets you know whether or not everything is killed/organics removed from the pool. Here's a link to the test: pool-school/overnight_fc_test
Pool School, big white button, top right on every page , chocked full of info! :-D
Also see the red lines in my sig!

ok, I lost 1 ppm overnight. FC was 21.5 at 10pm last night and it is 20.5 now. So that is good!!CC chlorine is still 0.5. But I will still keep the shock up till it clears. No rain in site for my area! I had 700 gallons hauled in last week and used it up by vacuuming to waste several times. By the way the brown dustlike matter is back on the bottom of the pool, any ideas how to get rid of it?? When I touch it, it just disperses, I can't "feel" it. I am going to take off the solar cover and power wash it today, should I use any chemical to clean it??? I backwashed this morning also, the waste water coming out (and in the glass viewtube) was not dirty, just a milky white color, same color as my cloudiness under the water. It brought the psi to about 10.5, so I backwashed again and it still stayed the same. NO dirty/milky water coming out at all on 2nd backwash. Any suggestions???

Sasha said:
ok, I lost 1 ppm overnight. FC was 21.5 at 10pm last night and it is 20.5 now. So that is good!!CC chlorine is still 0.5. But I will still keep the shock up till it clears.

No rain in site for my area! I had 700 gallons hauled in last week and used it up by vacuuming to waste several times. By the way the brown dustlike matter is back on the bottom of the pool, any ideas how to get rid of it??
Keep brushing and filtering.
When I touch it, it just disperses, I can't "feel" it.

I am going to take off the solar cover and power wash it today, should I use any chemical to clean it???
You can use a diluted water/bleach solution.

I backwashed this morning also, the waste water coming out (and in the glass viewtube) was not dirty, just a milky white color, same color as my cloudiness under the water. It brought the psi to about 10.5, so I backwashed again and it still stayed the same. NO dirty/milky water coming out at all on 2nd backwash. Any suggestions???
As usual, backwash/rinse when filter psi rises about 20%. You might want to try a little DE in the filter. If you decide to do this, go slow and watch the filter psi. Special directions in Pool School here: pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

Are you using skimmer socks? If not, I strongly urge you to use them. Your water situation with a sand filter will use lots of water, as you know. I found that the skimmer socks from WallyWorld work great. They are inexpensive and can also be found at the pool stores. They will cut down on your backwash needs and save you some water $$.

Have you had your well water tested for metals?

I just took the solar cover off, and brushed walls, floor and ladder. The pool store did test for Iron, and it didn't show any, When I added the 700 gallons it was treated water from a local water plant. FC holding at 20.5 CC 0.5. I did read the threads on adding DE to the filter and was highly considering it, it seems simple enough to do. And I also heard of the skimmer socks haven't tried, but definetly worth a try. I am going to keep it a shock level...The tough part keeping the kids out, it is going to be in the high 80's by the end of the week. Another quick question(s), When I am out of the pool looking in I can see the bottom and the whole way across the pool to the bottom, IT is ONLY when I go under the water with goggles on that I see the cloudiness. Am I being too picky??OR is this still considered cloudy water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the opinion harleysilo,...I have been called a perfectionist before...LOL. And the local pool store has skimmer socks, Yah...at least I don't have to wait days for them to be shipped. Planning on getting (and using) them tomorow!!!

I am making progress. This morning lost 1 ppm in FC over night and CC was .5. Tested again this afternoon FC is 18.5 (then added more LQ to shock level) but the CC was 0!! I got into the pool I can see ALL THE WAY (under the water) to the other side, BUT still a little cloudy. "PATIENCE" I keep telling myself. PSI on filter still at 11 psi. And I got the skimmer socks today. Still haven't checked the ph since chlorine is high. And I also have brushed the walls, floor and ladder again, and also vacuumed (but not to waste!!).

Sasha said:
skimmer socks, Yah...at least I don't have to wait days for them to be shipped. Planning on getting (and using) them tomorow!!!
I started using skimmer socks this season. The only downside is occasionally enough can get in there to block most of the water. Around here on a windy day it can fill the basket anyway. Overall I love them, they're a little bit messy, but I'd rather clean them out and know that all that gunk isn't making it in to the filter and I can be rid of it on a daily basis. Can't really say for sure if it's the socks or not, but the water has never been more clear.

UGHHH! OCLT l lost 8.5 ppm overnight....What the heck??How is this possible when I have been keeping it at shock level for 3 full days?? Never lost that much over the last 2 nights.
FC 15.
CC .5 (or less)
CYA 50
PH still reading high
TA 120 (checked 3 days ago)
CH 260 (checked 3 days ago)

I added 128 oz of 6% bleach, (only because I ran out of the 12%) 5 minutes ago.Solar cover is off. Brown stuff still at the bottom. I guess I gotta brave the 72 degrees water to vacuum. (It's been getting cold here at night..brrr). Usually the water is at 80 degrees. Any thoughts???Suggestions??

Sounds like you may have some hiding places for the algae, like light niches, ladders, etc. Or, it could have simply been a testing error.

You'll get there, just keep hammering it.

Have you tried the skimmer socks yet?

Yes I have tried the skimmer socks (bought them yesterday). The only thing i have is a ladder in my pool and a mat under it, and the skimmer box and return jet. But the 15 must have been correct, because I put the 128 oz of 6% in and it brought the FC back up to 20.5 in an hour.

Sasha said:
Yes I have tried the skimmer socks (bought them yesterday). The only thing i have is a ladder in my pool and a mat under it, and the skimmer box and return jet. But the 15 must have been correct, because I put the 128 oz of 6% in and it brought the FC back up to 20.5 in an hour.

not to steal your topic but where did you get the socks? ... i looked online at wally world and didn't see them .... or are they called something that makes them more expensive?? :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.