Opening Pool Help?

Jun 21, 2012
Well this is my first post on the site and I have to say it's very nice and a lot of information is on here. Well last year we didn't close our pool cause we thought we were going to sell it this year. Needless to say that was a bad idea cause we decided to keep it. So we drained all the water scrubbed the sides and bottom and filled it back up with water from the garden hose. Over the past week there isn't any algae in the pool and the water is extremely clear. I have put in 4oz of algaecide60 and we keep 3 inch tabs in the basket. So here's my question over the past week I have put 6 gallons of 12% bleach and it is still not showing any in the pool on either of my test kits. How much should it take my pool is 27ft and 17,000 gallons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to get some stabilizer aka cyanuric aka CYA in there, soon.

UV rays from sunlight are breaking down your chlorine almost as fast as you can pour it. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but it's no coincidence that bleach doesn't come in clear jugs.

3" tablets will raise the CYA, but not fast enough to help you. Also, it's a bad idea to leave them in the skimmer basket unless you run the pump 24/7. They're acidic.

Head over to Walmart, Lowes, maybe even a -gasp- pool store and pick up some stabilizer. 5 or 6 lbs should be enough. You can always add more, but removing it if you overshoot is a pain. Tie it up in an old sock and hang it in front of a return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.