Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Pool Help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Pool Help?

Well this is my first post on the site and I have to say it's very nice and a lot of information is on here. Well last year we didn't close our pool cause we thought we were going to sell it this year. Needless to say that was a bad idea cause we decided to keep it. So we drained all the water scrubbed the sides and bottom and filled it back up with water from the garden hose. Over the past week there isn't any algae in the pool and the water is extremely clear. I have put in 4oz of algaecide60 and we keep 3 inch tabs in the basket. So here's my question over the past week I have put 6 gallons of 12% bleach and it is still not showing any in the pool on either of my test kits. How much should it take my pool is 27ft and 17,000 gallons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Pool Help?

You need to get some stabilizer aka cyanuric aka CYA in there, soon.

UV rays from sunlight are breaking down your chlorine almost as fast as you can pour it. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but it's no coincidence that bleach doesn't come in clear jugs.

3" tablets will raise the CYA, but not fast enough to help you. Also, it's a bad idea to leave them in the skimmer basket unless you run the pump 24/7. They're acidic.

Head over to Walmart, Lowes, maybe even a -gasp- pool store and pick up some stabilizer. 5 or 6 lbs should be enough. You can always add more, but removing it if you overshoot is a pain. Tie it up in an old sock and hang it in front of a return.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I do run the pool 24/7. Can you buy liquid stabilizer or do you just recommend the powder?

4. Back To Top    #4

Liquid is--------------EXPENSIVE! Like 30 bucks or so a gallon.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by holliday
    I do run the pool 24/7. Can you buy liquid stabilizer or do you just recommend the powder?
    Yes, liquid stabilizer is available. I've never used it, so I have no idea if it's pool store only or available at big box stores.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Alright well I appreciate it. I'll get some in there and get some more chlorine in a day or so. Thanks a lot sir