Leakingg pump when off

OK I plugged up the outlet hose coming to the filter. Took off the cap, cleaned the basket, inspected the O ring. Looked perfect, right where it should be. I put the cap back on carefully and tightened it pretty good. It seems to have made the leaking stop, theres still maybe a drip. I don't want to tighten too hard. How many turns do you guys usually get ?
BTW--I think this is my issue, I am usually trying to put the cap on frantically while water gushes everywhere, taking my time with the hose plugged up I think I was able to make a more solid connection. It seems overnight with filter off i lost maybe 3-4 inches of water from this leak. Filling pool more as we speak.

How many turns do you guys usually get ?
My lid doesn't screw on in the traditional sense. It has a 1/4 turn locking thread that basically just seats the )-ring in place. Pressure differential is what makes the seal (at least on my pump) so it is important the O-ring seal properly and evenly.

Place a shut-off valve in your line so water won't gush everywhere.

Is that a Hayward pump with square pump basket? If so that gasket is particularly susceptible to dirt and distortion. Get a replacement gasket, pry out the old gasket and thoroughly clean out the groove that the gasket sits in as well as the mating surface on the lid (WD-40 is useful). Reinstall the gasket with a light film of lubricant and it should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.