Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leakingg pump when off

1. Back To Top    #1

Leakingg pump when off

I have a heyward 2 speed pump. It works well but I notice when its off it likes around the filter basket. The lid is on tight nad thers no air in it, If I tighten it anymore I may break it. Suggestions ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Leakingg pump when off

If it is leaking at the pump strainer basket lid, you have a misaligned or damaged O-ring most likely. Examine/replace that and it will probably stop.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    If it is leaking at the pump strainer basket lid, you have a misaligned or damaged O-ring most likely. Examine/replace that and it will probably stop.

How do you get to the O ring ? Is it between the lid and the basket ? Or underneath the basket ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

between the lid and the basket
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

OK I plugged up the outlet hose coming to the filter. Took off the cap, cleaned the basket, inspected the O ring. Looked perfect, right where it should be. I put the cap back on carefully and tightened it pretty good. It seems to have made the leaking stop, theres still maybe a drip. I don't want to tighten too hard. How many turns do you guys usually get ?
    BTW--I think this is my issue, I am usually trying to put the cap on frantically while water gushes everywhere, taking my time with the hose plugged up I think I was able to make a more solid connection. It seems overnight with filter off i lost maybe 3-4 inches of water from this leak. Filling pool more as we speak.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

How many turns do you guys usually get ?
    My lid doesn't screw on in the traditional sense. It has a 1/4 turn locking thread that basically just seats the )-ring in place. Pressure differential is what makes the seal (at least on my pump) so it is important the O-ring seal properly and evenly.

Place a shut-off valve in your line so water won't gush everywhere.
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Is that a Hayward pump with square pump basket? If so that gasket is particularly susceptible to dirt and distortion. Get a replacement gasket, pry out the old gasket and thoroughly clean out the groove that the gasket sits in as well as the mating surface on the lid (WD-40 is useful). Reinstall the gasket with a light film of lubricant and it should be fine.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!