Well Water

CarolJ

Jun 24, 2012
Rockford, IL
We have well water that's extremely high in iron. Just purchased an Intek 10' x 30" pool with 530 pump/filter for the grandbabies. Total usable gallons is 1,018. My problem is the color the water is now the color of tea after use of Lo n Slo, and Shocker. Also just put in an oz of Algeacide. PH is low, but total Alk is off the charts. It's the second day, and not seeing a change. I've replaced the Type A filter twice now. Something fun is turning into a pain! FYI I have no skimmer or vacuum. Can anyone help, or should I just go to a pool store. I like the idea of less chemicals is best.

You still have to have chlorine to keep the pool sanitary. Surely your neighbor uses a sanitizer in their pool. Borates are a mild algaecide but do nothing to kill pathogens or bacteria.

You'll have to maintain your pool normally except that you'll have to maintain a level of sequestrant in it so the water will stay clear and to prevent staining.

Purchased a sequestrant and removed all metals. I was high in iron & copper. Water has been wonderful and clear...however, with our 100 degree days lately, now the water has turned cloudy. I have very low PH. Stopped at local pool store yesterday and left frustrated, as some young 20 yr old couldn't find me in the system-whatever. I'm sure the low PH is the problem, but don't have anything to raise it. I've read the baking soda can be used. Being that it's just a kiddie pool with 1,018 gallons, not sure on the dosage. FYI-if I can't get this kiddie pool under control, there's no way we're getting a real pool next year! :(