Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Well Water

We have well water that's extremely high in iron. Just purchased an Intek 10' x 30" pool with 530 pump/filter for the grandbabies. Total usable gallons is 1,018. My problem is the color the water is now the color of tea after use of Lo n Slo, and Shocker. Also just put in an oz of Algeacide. PH is low, but total Alk is off the charts. It's the second day, and not seeing a change. I've replaced the Type A filter twice now. Something fun is turning into a pain! FYI I have no skimmer or vacuum. Can anyone help, or should I just go to a pool store. I like the idea of less chemicals is best.
    Intek Pool Owner-10'x30" for grandbabies. Starting small before going big! 530 gallon pump w/type A filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Well Water

Since you know you have iron in your water you're going to have to use sequestrant. There's a good pool school article on metals in your water and it'd be worth reading.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

With that in mind, how do you treat your pool? Do use chemicals? My neighbor just uses borax.
    Intek Pool Owner-10'x30" for grandbabies. Starting small before going big! 530 gallon pump w/type A filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

You still have to have chlorine to keep the pool sanitary. Surely your neighbor uses a sanitizer in their pool. Borates are a mild algaecide but do nothing to kill pathogens or bacteria.

You'll have to maintain your pool normally except that you'll have to maintain a level of sequestrant in it so the water will stay clear and to prevent staining.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Purchased a sequestrant and removed all metals. I was high in iron & copper. Water has been wonderful and clear...however, with our 100 degree days lately, now the water has turned cloudy. I have very low PH. Stopped at local pool store yesterday and left frustrated, as some young 20 yr old couldn't find me in the system-whatever. I'm sure the low PH is the problem, but don't have anything to raise it. I've read the baking soda can be used. Being that it's just a kiddie pool with 1,018 gallons, not sure on the dosage. FYI-if I can't get this kiddie pool under control, there's no way we're getting a real pool next year!

6. Back To Top    #6

We use baking soda to raise TA. Use borax to raise pH. You can use the PoolCalculator.com to figure the doses.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!