Pool Robot Vac... Skimmer... Which, How, Both... LOL

Apr 7, 2012
I have a Kreepy Krawly (sp?) vac and I'm very very happy with the way it is working. It really keeps the pool nice and clean.

The problem is that I have to put it into the port inside the skimmer. There appear to be two "ports" in the skimmer. One has lots of suction, and one has nothing... not sure what that one should do.

Anyway, when I put the Kreepy on the suction port in the skimmer the bottom of pool looks great... but there gets to be some Crud on the surface of the pool that I don't like. If I take out the Kreepy, the bottom of the pool gets Crud and the surface looks good.

I (think) it could all be solved if they had installed a vac port on the pool, but this pool (in ground) doesn't have one...

So... what (if there it's possible) is the solution?

I'm new to all this, so don't laugh. LOL

Many thanks!
Pete

I've been reading about these skimmer vacuum plates... and there appear to be few different kinds.
Do you recommend a certain one?
Also, what happens to the basket when you use one?
Isn't it a trip-hazard... having this big things sticking out?

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,
Pete

The one I have has a 90º elbow on it and the hose comes out the mouth of the skimmer so you cna put the cover back on the skimmer with it in place. So even on an inground pool it wouldn't be a tripping hazard. I can't recommend one but I believe they all work about the same and you probably won't go wrong with any of them as long as it fits your skimmer.

The skimmer basket stays in place. I like better because it's easier to clean the skimmer basket than the pump basket and it's a extra level of protection.

Understood. I'm going to take a picture of what I have and post it up as soon as I can.

I really like the idea of the elbow that stays under the lid. Not sure how the strainer can stay in place since the hole that the vac. plugs into is under the basket...

Hi! Ok! We've got pics and more questions!

What's a "boss"?
Should there be a "door" or "flapper" on the skimmer? Mine is just a rectangular pass-through without any kind of door or flapper... is this normal with a skimmer?
Based on the photos below, can you suggest a vacplate that I can send the hose out though the skimmer and not have the trip hazard that I'm concerned about?

Thanks for everything! :) Pete

pool3.jpg

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

The vacuum plate will sit right on top of the basket lip.

Measure the diameter of the skimmer above where the top of the basket sits and you should be able to find one that will work.

Here's one example. The one I use is for a Waterway skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to sound like a dope... but how does that keep the skimmer working at the same time as the vac?

My current vac plugs into one of the holes in the bottom of the skimmer well. (The one with suction, obviously) -- when I do this, it no longer skims the debris off the top of the pool. My goal is to have the robot vac work AND the skimmer yet keep the "workings" under the skimmer cap (or some other way to keep it safe so there is no trip hazard...

What did I miss?

Thanks,
Pete :)

Man it sounds like that is what you need, except you need the pipe for the cleaner to stick out of the skimmer opening. This one which is same as above appears not assembled in the picture, maybe it comes that way? They sell all the parts of it individually too. I wonder if you could change it with a 90 fitting so that it doesn't stick out of your deck and you can put the skimmer cover back on and route hose through skimmer opening. http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501 ... tm#reviews

Alternatively you could get a cheap skimmer cover to run the hose through (cut a hole in it with a holesaw) to close up the majority of the skimmer, you'd still have a hose exposed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.