Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Start Capacitor Failures A Tech Mystery?

1. Back To Top    #1

Start Capacitor Failures A Tech Mystery?

I have put two brand new 2-speed 1 HP Hayward Maxflo II pumps on my 18x36 inground Hayward EC-75 vinyl linerpool this year. I have had no water chemistry problems the pool is crystal clear 7.4PH, 30ppm cya, 110 total alkilinity and has no other issues. The first pump was installed with timer control and a single pole double throw switch to select speeds. The start capacitor failed over night while running on high speed when the pump was about two weeks old. My dealer accepted it for return and gave me the second pump. It worked succesfully for about three weeks and while the pump was set to high overnight it too had a failed starter capacitor. My dealer has said he will replace this pump also but I am getting a little paranoid. Any thoughts on the quality of this pump?

The wiring shows no corrosion or pitting (as though connections were loose). My dealer has said it was probably a bad lot of capacitors.

Should I upgrade to a variable speed living in Cincinnati? (4 month season)

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

IG 29,000 Gallons EC75-Perflex De Filter
    265,000 BTU Copper Heat Exchange Heater, Hayward Puck Chlorinator, Converting to Hayward SWG, Polaris 9300, Pentair Intelliflo VS

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Start Capacitor Failures A Tech Mystery?

I agree that it was probably a bad batch of capacitors. BTW, is that an AO Smith motor on that pump?

As for going with a VS, for your size pool and $.10/kwh, it would take about 45 months (11 years) of operation to pay for the pump cost difference.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner