Sliding Gate Automatic Closure & Safety Tinted Windows

p_pan

Apr 16, 2008
Texas
Hello Everybody,
I'd like to ask a couple of questions in regards these two subjects:

Sliding Gate - It seems my city here in Frisco, TX, has an informal ordinance around the fact that with sliding gates and pool combination, the gate should close automatically in case of a power failure in the city. This could be accomplished by having a battery backup power, which is expensive. Alternatively, they tell you to build an iron fence along the driveway to keep people/children from accessing the pool. The iron gate will cost me around $700 for 25 ft.

Anyway, my pool builder said that someone from the city commented that it is possible to hook up the wires in the sliding gate motor, to make it close automatically when there is a power failure. Does anybody know how that is accomplished or has any schematic on how to accomplish this?

Tinted Window Issue - My PB told me that e of my windows in the back of the house, closer to the pool, may need to be glazed or tinted in order to make it safe proof. THe city code spells out that it has to be done if the window is within 5" from the water's edge. One window is within 4 1/2" while the other two, although outside of the range, are close to a pathway used to get out of the pool and the PB says it may indeed not pass inspection.

Anyway, I called a tinted window provider in the area and they quoted me $414 + tax for 3 windows that are 35" x 83". It is very expensive and since it is placed on the outside, not inside, it carries no warranty whatsoever. Also, this provider even told me that if he was me, he would invest in tempered glass instead since the tinted material will get damaged with time.

My question are these:
1) Are these the only products?
2) Do I need to have the whole window tinted or just the bottom part?
3) Is there a way to buy this product and install myself? Would you recommend it? Do you have any advise on where to buy them?
4) Wold you invest in the tempered glass?

Please note that my kids are 10 and 15, and are not the type that put themselves in danger.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

cobra46 said:
I don't understand why the 'E' of the window makes any difference as the 'E' relates to the energy efficiency of the window. I have heard that in some areas, windows close to the pool need to be tempered.

Cobra,
Not sure if I understood your question (i.e. 'E'). In the 4 pages ordinance material I read from my city, it talks about "must include safety glass glazing", which I assume it is the tinted window. They do not mention tempered glass but the window tinting provider recommended as the "right" solution.

I have seen sliding gates that have a weight and pulley system where the weight gets pulled up as the gate opens and the weight falling pushes the gate closed. The motor needs to be on the entire time the gate is open, and when it loses power the gate closes by its self. I have no idea where you get one like that though.

Hi p_pan. I live in McKinney... small world.

I'm not sure if this answers your question on your windows, but there is such a thing as safety window film which make the glass more resistant to breakage, and in case it does break, helps hold the pieces of shattered glass together. As others have stated, this is not "normal" window tint, although a lot of window tint companies do carry and install this type of product. Also, I don't know the code in Frisco, so whatever you do decide to use, I would check with the city first to ensure it meets requirements.

revstriker said:
Hi p_pan. I live in McKinney... small world.

I'm not sure if this answers your question on your windows, but there is such a thing as safety window film which make the glass more resistant to breakage, and in case it does break, helps hold the pieces of shattered glass together. As others have stated, this is not "normal" window tint, although a lot of window tint companies do carry and install this type of product. Also, I don't know the code in Frisco, so whatever you do decide to use, I would check with the city first to ensure it meets requirements.

Hi There Rvstriker,
Small world indeed.
I am checking with the city but usually they a re a little vague on their answers. For instance, the sliding gate issue is not spelled out on the city ordinance but some inspectors require, while others, don't. I have questionned that to the city via e-mail, they just gave me a vague answer that they will make sure everybody is on the same page on this.. What??!?!?! Anyway, I am trying again.

By the way, I used the wrong term on the tinted windows. It is correct to say that the window tinting guy called it "Safety Window Film", and it gets installed on the outside of the window in order to help hold the pieces of shattered glass together, as you stated. The issue is that it has no warranty, it fades away and makes it harder to clean, and it costs $138 per window.

p_pan said:
The issue is that it has no warranty, it fades away and makes it harder to clean, and it costs $138 per window.
Not sure how "handy" you are, but I did a quick "Google" and did find this product online. For a 60" x 100", the company I found charges $342 for 4mil and $541 for 8mil. They have smaller sizes as well. Not sure how much you would need to cover your windows.

I have never installed safety film before, but I have done window tint on some of my windows which is very easy. Not sure if it installs the same, but probably worth the research.

Poolidiot said:
I would check on that, I do not think that tinted = safety glass glazing.

"Safety glass" can be either laminated glass or tempered glass. Laminated glass is regular plate glass but with a laminate applied to either side or even sandwiched between glass layers. You can bond a laminate to plate glass and have it result in safety glass although it's better to buy it premade. Car windshields are laminated glass while the side and back windows are all tempered.

PP, per your other thread it sounds like once the pool is done this may be a moot point since the closest window may be over 5' away from the edge. But if it's not, check with the inspector before proceeding with installing a laminate yourself to make sure he doesn't require certification. If he requires certification you'll have to have the laminate professionally installed and documented. Also, see if you can find out when your next inspection is going to happen and try to be there to meet with the inspector and get an answer on that gate issue. He's the one that will or will not sign off on it, so it doesn't much matter what the office person tells you.

Alot of codes also call for this in any window less than 2 or 3 ft from the ground level. The reasoning for this and within 5' of the pool, shower, bathtub etc, is so that if or when you slip and fall you dont have large daggers of glass falling on top of you. The window film will hold the glass together or the tempered will blow up into little tiny pieces. I cant imagine the tempered being cheaper. It is all measured, then custom cut and then tempered. Shipped from the glass company to the installer who then has to come to your house, take your window apart and install. If you have the double paned aka IG unit, it will cost even more, then if you have some inert gas Low E IG unit it will be even more still. Tint/Film is cheap. Laminated glass swap is also very expensive. It is a pain to cut without breaking it so there is alot of waste which is factored into the price. You can also get clear film BTW.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.