pump problem/questions

Jun 24, 2012
New to TFP. Great forum! I started to have problems with my Whisper Flow pump this season. It is 6 years old and the season started with the pump not turning on without me spinning the shaft. I checked the start capicitor which was normal. I then noticed corrosion at the motor attachment and water leaking out of the bottom of the pump. I took the pump apart, the seal plate attachment bolt lugs where cracked and the impellar had rubbed on the seal plate. I replaced the seal plate, impellar, and all the gaskets. I also replaced the motor with an AO Smith more effecient motor (higher SF and run and start capicitor). Everything went back together great but now the motor is hot and thermal overloads after running 24 hours. I checked the voltage to the motor, impellar size, there is good water pressure and the impellar spins fine. What is the cause of the thermal overload? Is it thermal overload? Is it a bad motor?

To improve energy cost I also hooked up a Intellamatic timer and question if I need to hook up the Intellichlor as well as the pump to the timer. Now the Intellichlor continues to be on while the pump is off.
Thanks in advance.
Randy

Whisper Flow WF-24 1HP new AO smith motor
Intellichlor 40
Triton II sand filter
30,000 gal vinyl pool

rameaton said:
It is 6 years old and the season started with the pump not turning on without me spinning the shaft. I checked the start capicitor which was normal.
That usually means it is a bad start capacitor. How did you test it?

Ok then, on to the second part:

Everything went back together great but now the motor is hot and thermal overloads after running 24 hours. I checked the voltage to the motor, impellar size, there is good water pressure and the impellar spins fine. What is the cause of the thermal overload? Is it thermal overload? Is it a bad motor?

Are you sure the new impeller is not rubbing on the seal plate as well? The seal plate could be warped. Also check the diffuser since you didn't mention replacing that. Given the problems you had previously with the wet end, my guess is that there is still an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.