Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak Observed - Big Trouble Ahead?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak Observed - Big Trouble Ahead?

Hi all. Now that Tropical Storm Debbie has wreaked havoc on what was a crystal clear pool, I noticed while draining due to overflow something unusual but something that I've suspected for some time. Attached are photos of what I think is the integrity of in ground pool compromised. I found 3 spots where "mini waterfalls" were coming from in between the tiles. What concerns me is that during the rain, those mini waterfalls showed no signs of slowing down. I'm thinking the entire area around the pool has settled and differs from when it was first built 20+ years ago resulting in some compromise in integrity. Thoughts?

Possible Leak - In Ground Pool
    Jorge - Tampa Bay

• Pool Configuration
      11,000 gallon Stonescapes Mini Carribean Blue
      MX8 Barracuda
      Hayward C1200 Cartridge Filter with a DISABLED 3" In-line Chlorinator
      3/4 hp Jacuzzi Pump
      TFT 100 Testing Kit w/ Speedstir
      Wall Whale Brush / Aqua Comb Filter Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak Observed - Big Trouble Ahead?

This suggests that the water table is just under the deck. Your pool will add water. That means do nothing till the water table drops.

Its unlikely the shell, after 20 years, is compromised.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm great with physics and chemistry. Unfortunately not with construction. What does I mean exactly that the water table is just under the deck? Does TFP have a primer on in ground pool construction?

On a side note, the rate of rain is faster than my pool pump can drain out. Silly tropical storm.
    Jorge - Tampa Bay

• Pool Configuration
      MX8 Barracuda
      3/4 hp Jacuzzi Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Scott,

We're looking at about 8 inches of rain plus at the moment. I've noticed now multiple spots similar to those pictures where we're getting water streaming into the pool. Is there a point where I need to concern myself with what's going on or is there very little I can do at the moment? This is record breaking rain for us so I'm sure I'm not the only one in the area having similar issues. Thanks!
    Jorge - Tampa Bay

• Pool Configuration
      MX8 Barracuda
      3/4 hp Jacuzzi Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

One thing I'd be concerned about... with water flowing through underneath the deck, will that eventually scour the dirt away (leaving voids underneath the deck)?

--Michael
    Slidell, Louisiana (near New Orleans) 11,000gal kidney shaped Trilogy fiberglass pool Intelliflo VS Triton TR100 filter Easytouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

All you can do is wait and see. Worrying about it isn't going to stop what could happen. More importantly, that the storm is going to drop as much rain as it is, evacuation, food shortages, utilities... are more my concern for you.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey Scott. We're lucky in the sense that we're in the Tampa Bay area. Not in the direct path but ended up with about 10 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. Between the water I noticed coming in between the tiles and muck settling at the bottom of the pool, it's been a long, long day. Not to mention that not a single water chemistry test is within TFP's desired range. Thanks again!
    Jorge - Tampa Bay

• Pool Configuration
      MX8 Barracuda
      3/4 hp Jacuzzi Pump