Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could low CH levels be causing cloudy water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Could low CH levels be causing cloudy water?

Hi Folks,

I've got my numbers and I had a question around CH levels. In the interest of full disclosure there are several problems with my pool. I've got a leak I can't locate and as a result am adding a lot of water, which means I'm loosing the treated water and diluting with freshwater. I fully understand that isn't ideal and will be digging in as the days go on.

BUT, my water was beautiful the last few days and cloudy when i woke up. I tested early in the AM with the short test and it showed no chlorine. Added @2.5 gallons and let that filter for a few hours and did the long test. Numbers are as follows:
    FC: 7
    CC: .5
    TC: 7.5
    pH: 7.2
    T/A: 100
    CH: 100
    CYA: 0

Now, I can't seem to keep CYA in the pool and I think that's because of the leak. As a result I am using a TON of chlorine because I'm constantly adding fresh water/ Vicious cycle that's costing lots of time and money.

My hunch is the cloudiness is from not holding stabilizer and as a result not holding chlorine appropriately. Maybe this morning it was just all used up.

But I've read pool school and I'm struggling to understand if that CH level a problem?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to start taking some measurements and closing up the skimmers/returns tonight to help find the leak. Separate thread for that adventure. I have some pictures of our last attempt to find the leak.....
    38,000 gallon In-Ground, gunite bottom/fiberglass wall (older style I've not seen elsewhere)
    Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP SuperFlow 2 (not sure flow rate)
    Built @1980

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could low CH levels be causing cloudy water?

I think your hunch is correct.

You should test and add FC more often, but you also need to concentrate on finding your leak.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It is alright for CH to be low for a while, but as soon as the leak is resolved you should raise CH back up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, glad I'm not going crazy. I added a floculent (Target 'Super Clarifier') and it helped clear the water up right away.

Now on to the leak!
    38,000 gallon In-Ground, gunite bottom/fiberglass wall (older style I've not seen elsewhere)
    Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP SuperFlow 2 (not sure flow rate)
    Built @1980