Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Special PVC Elbows For Pools?

1. Back To Top    #1

Special PVC Elbows For Pools?

Hey folks,

I had a guy from a local pool store over for a quick quote on an unrelated project. He saw my pipes and first thing he said was:
    "Those 90 degree elbows you got don't meet code. They're not meant for pools. You should replace them.". Of course he he offered to do it.

These are just standard white PVC elbows from Lowes/HD plumbing department. So, I went to a few local pool stores and didn't find any special elbows there. Is what he said really true? Or are the standard ones from Lowes/Home Depot fine?

Thanks
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Special PVC Elbows For Pools?

I say he is full of it.
    10,000gal fiberglass kidney
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    (2) PAL2000 multi colored LED lights
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

3. Back To Top    #3

Some states are following the APSP-15 regulations:

5.5.4. All elbows shall be sweep elbows or elbow-type that have a pressure drop of less than the pressure drop of straight pipe with a length of 30 pipe diameters.
    However, according to the Crane TP410 handbook, a standard ELL 90 meets these requirements. I think the problem is that the 90s at Lowes and Home Depot have no test data behind them so you really don't know if they actually meet those requirements but I would assume they do.

IMHO, that is a short sited requirement because you can get much less head loss by up sizing the pipe instead of using special 90s.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

what you might have are waste elbows instead of pressure rated. You can tell by how much sleeve there is on each part of the ell. pressure fittings will have about 1.5 inches but waste fittings will only have .5 or .75 inches.

You can get pressure fittings from home depot our Lowes...they will be called schedule 40....waste fittings are labeled dwv. Around here Lowes has a far better selection than home depot

22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

5. Back To Top    #5

I alway buy them from HD or Lowes. Just get the ones that are the same size all the way you should be fine. Don't get the ones that look smaller in the actual 90.
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

6. Back To Top    #6

Great, thanks everyone!
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

7. Back To Top    #7

I think chrisexv6 was right. They were all waste. I think they were fine, but I'm installing a gas heater, so with the plumbing inspector coming by soon for a visit, I just bought pressure ones to replace them with to be on the safe side.

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool builder used a DWV drain pipe elbow on the return line for my pool, it held for 29 years before blowing out and costing well over a thousand dollars to fix (under concrete, had to get a professional leak detector to locate it, jack hammer up a whole section of concrete floor, fix the broken pipe, new concrete)

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by NullQwerty
    Hey folks,

I had a guy from a local pool store over for a quick quote on an unrelated project. He saw my pipes and first thing he said was:
    "Those 90 degree elbows you got don't meet code. They're not meant for pools. You should replace them.". Of course he he offered to do it.

These are just standard white PVC elbows from Lowes/HD plumbing department. So, I went to a few local pool stores and didn't find any special elbows there. Is what he said really true? Or are the standard ones from Lowes/Home Depot fine?

Thanks
    What brand were the fittings?

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok you got me thinking so I checked mine. Took a pic of the writing on it. Is this "code" or not?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

11. Back To Top    #11

The fitting you have is good.

12. Back To Top    #12

The Lowes where I live only sells Charlotte and Lasco fittings. The Charlotte fittings they carry are for DWV only. The OP may have gotten fittings that were for DWV only.

A DWV fitting will only fit 3/4 of an inch on a pipe, while a fitting for pressure will fit 1 1/4 inch on a pipe.

13. Back To Top    #13

Look for the "SCH 40" mark on the fitting. If it has that it is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks. Good to know. When you speak of DWV is that similar to what I've always called SDR pipe? That's what I have my gutter downspouts going into underground.
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaggoner
    Thanks. Good to know. When you speak of DWV is that similar to what I've always called SDR pipe? That's what I have my gutter downspouts going into underground.
    He means this:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_23354-1814-P...RL=&facetInfo=

16. Back To Top    #16

SDR is a measure of the ratio of the pipe diameter to the wall thickness. SDR doesn't mean anything by it's self, but is always associated with a number, i.e. SDR-11 or SDR-35. Lower SDR are stronger and can handle higher pressure.

Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 pipe has the same wall thickness at any size, while SDR-NN pipe will have different wall thicknesses at different diameters, so the ratio remains the same. 2" Schedule 40 pipe has an SDR of about 15.4.

In common usage, SDR without a number is sometimes used to mean either SDR-26 or SDR-35, both of which have thinner walls than Schedule 40 pipe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Yeah that's what my downspouts tie into underground. Thanks
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

18. Back To Top    #18

The main thing you will notice with DWV fittings is that the area for glue to mate is much shorter than on SCH 40 fittings, DWV and SCH40 pipe has the same outside diameter so will fit in either type of fitting, just the DWV fittings are not pressure rated. Also note you will sometimes see sections of larger diameter PVC dual rated as both SCH 40 and DWV, this is mostly to let people know that you can use SCH 40 in place of the thinner DWV pipe, probably also for less than informed inspectors that want to see the markings.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

19. Back To Top    #19

I don't know about code but when I plugged the equivalent lenghts for the sweep elbow (5.7) and the traditional elbow (8.6) (The Engineering Tool Box) in to my plumbing model my head pressure only went up 1.2ft. based on 65 GPM. It may not meet code but I deem it unnecessary to replace if you can get away with it.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

20. Back To Top    #20

Based on this thread - I got rid of my two DWV 90 degree elbow that I used to offset to get around some electrical work. As usual - it snowballed a little - but I did get everything all glued in and running again - this time, with enough clearance to go around my sand filter...
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter