I decided to follow this site's recommendation on shocking to clear up some cloudiness that has been hanging around for about 3 weeks. Last test results from the pool store were (waiting on my test kit to arrive):
FC 0.1 ppm
CC 0.6 ppm
Total Hardness 290 ppm
Alkalinity (adj for stablizer) 143 ppm
CYA 25 ppm
Those results were halfway through the process early in the morning before adding any more shock for the day. To that point I had used 13 gal of 12.5% pool shock over the period of the previous day to get the FC up to 10 ppm. I was also able to use borax to raise the pH, it had been as low as 6.9. As of right now I have used about 21 gal of 12.5% shock and I have probably used that to get to shock level about 8 times over the last 2 days. The pool is starting to look a little better, but I still can't hold the shock FC. Last night it was about 10 ppm and this morning around 2 ppm (using test strips to get rough levels). Most of the time the pool has been covered with a safety cover during the process so sunlight shouldn't be much of a factor. On top of the liquid shock, I continued using my feeder dissolving about 8-12 oz. of trichlor per day ( I know I shouldn't do that to run the FC overnight test, but I'm nowhere close to holding FC levels yet). Any idea as to what could be absorbing that much chlorine? As I said, the pool is looking clearer and I think the CC level is coming down, but I'm not sure I can get to just losing 1 ppm of FC overnight at this rate.