What's the point of those chlorine "puck" floating devices?

Apr 7, 2012
All is great with my pool now. The black swamp is now crystal clear. the ph is spot, chlorine levels (avail, etc.) are all on spec... all is happy happy.

The question I have is what the heck was I thinking buying those "tablet" "puck" type things??? (and the float that they go in)? Everything I read about them (here and other places) is that "type" of chlorine is bad because of CYA issues, etc. In my case, I don't understand the point of it at all.

My avail. chlorine will go to zero (0) with the puck... the only way to get my avail. chlorine to where it needs to be is to add liquid chlorine.

Ok. Make fun of me... what's the deal?

Thanks,
Pete :)

Re: What's the point of those chlorine "puck" floating devic

Most pool owners think those floating dispensers and chlorine pucks are the answer and have no idea what CYA even is. I dumped 150lbs of shock into my pool over a 6 month at the direction of the pool store before I learned about BBB and CYA.

The Floaters with Pucks in them have some limited uses, even though the Pucks introduce CYA.

1. Vacation Coverage - So long as you keep CYA at manageable levels, you can drop a Floater in when you will be gone for several days, so you don't come home to an algae bloom.

2. Need CYA - It can be an effective method of introducing additional CYA while also chlorinating.

We used the Pucks while curing a new finish until it was time to start up the SWG.

FixItPete said:
Ah! Understood. I'll use what I have (2 more pucks) and forget about the floater. I've been doing BBB and it's been terrific.

Why not just save them for a long weekend when you're going out of town and can't add liquid chlorine?

You can also use them if you have low CYA and want to bring it up while adding cholorine at the same time. Like me I could have used them since I have a CYA level of 30 want wanting to shoot to 50. But I chose to add granular cya.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Using pucks works fine for some people. I never had a problem when I lived in New England. With a very short pool season, the water change from regular back flushing by the time CYA levels start to get out of hand, it's time to close the pool and drain a third or more of the water for winterizing. Snow melt draining through the mesh cover further dilutes things. By spring the CYA is back near zero, and you start over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.