Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool 3" off

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool 3" off

We just recently bought and installed a 14' by 48" intex ultra frame pool. After bringing in sand and leveling the ground, it seemed to have sunk back down 3 inches off on one side, it's not 3 off all the way around, it's 6 inches deep for about the first half, then it gradually goes down to 3 inches on the opposite end, should I be concerned and tear down and start over, or will this be fine for the summer?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool 3" off

3" out of level over 14' is pretty significant I would say. Maybe next season try something like a gravel base with a geotextile fabric over that and then put the sand over the fabric. That should help water drain through and away without washing the sand out from underneath your pool which is what may have happened to that side.
    10,000gal fiberglass kidney
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    (2) PAL2000 multi colored LED lights
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

If it's 3" out of level it needs to be fixed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaggoner
    3" out of level over 14' is pretty significant I would say. Maybe next season try something like a gravel base with a geotextile fabric over that and then put the sand over the fabric. That should help water drain through and away without washing the sand out from underneath your pool which is what may have happened to that side.
    Next year?
    Do you recommend swimming in it this summer or no?

5. Back To Top    #5

I couldnt say. bamarambler is much more qualified to answer that question. I was just saying that is something you could try to fix the problem whenever you decide to do it. 3" over 14' is a lot to be out of level. My pool is 28' long and the specs call for it to be within .75" at the minimum. The installers had mine well inside a .25" all over though.
    If bamarambler says fix it, I would go ahead and fix it. Its either now or later, it has to be done.
    10,000gal fiberglass kidney
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    (2) PAL2000 multi colored LED lights
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

6. Back To Top    #6

It needs to be fixed sooner rather than later. 3" is too much to be safe.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit