Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with balance of TA and PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with balance of TA and PH

I need a little help with figuring out which is should try to balance first. My TA is a little low and my PH is a little high. Do I need to try to get these in balance and if so, which do I do first? Here are my numbers

TA 90
    PH 8.2
    FC 5
    CYA 45

My FC roams between 5 and 3... I try to never let it go below 5 and brought it up to 10 this weekend because we had a large group over yesterday. Pool is chrystal clear and no complaints about burning eyes, so wasn't sure if I need to try to balance TA and PH or just leave it alone...

Any suggestions would be appreciated... (this website is the best!)
    23,000 gallon in ground L Shaped Vinyl Pool, Barracuda vacumn, sand filter. Located in Virginia. Member since July 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with balance of TA and PH

You need to get your PH down. You should never let PH go above 8.0, and preferably not above 7.8.

If you are using trichlor tablets you should also raise your TA. But if you are using any other form of chlorine you can leave your TA alone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need help with balance of TA and PH

I will get some muriatic acid to lower the PH. I am using 12.5% liquid shock that I got from BJ's for my chlorine source this year. So far that's all I've used. I have some pucks that I plan to use in a few weeks when we go on vacation, but other than that, pure bleach for me!

Thanks for your help!
    23,000 gallon in ground L Shaped Vinyl Pool, Barracuda vacumn, sand filter. Located in Virginia. Member since July 2010.