Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turning off the SWG while swimming???

1. Back To Top    #1

Turning off the SWG while swimming???

Why should the SWG be turned off while swimmers are in the pool???

I just read this on a different thread that the SWG should be turned off while swimmers are in the pool, can someone give me an insight to this?? I must have missed this info in my SWG manual.

Thanks!!!
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turning off the SWG while swimming???

It depends on what SWG you have. The great majority of them are fine to be on while swimming. But the Intex SWG units, and most of their pumps, do not appear to be certified as safe for use while people are swimming. It isn't clear if they are actually missing the relevant safety features, or if they simply haven't bothered to get the appropriate electrical safety certifications, but until they are certified, it is prudent to have both the pump and SWG turned off while people are in the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Well I have the Intex SWG but I have a Hayward pump and Hayward sand filter on my AGP. Would that make any difference?? Thanks!!
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

4. Back To Top    #4

I would agree with Jasonlion that while they might be perfectly safe, without the certification I would just shut it off. Your SWCG is independent of your pump and being in the return back to your pool, it wont make any difference that you have hayward pump and filter.
    10,000gal fiberglass kidney
    3/4 hp whisperflo
    Sand dollar SD80
    IC40 SWCG
    (2) PAL2000 multi colored LED lights
    all 2" plumbing
    no water features/no spa
    TF Testkit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks!! One final question....since my SWCG manual suggests running it for 6 hours, could I break that time up to 3 and 3?....3 before swimmers and 3 after swimmers???

6. Back To Top    #6

Sure, splitting the run time into blocks is fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Super thanks JasonLion!!! =]