Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain water that's only about 1' deep...

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain water that's only about 1' deep...

Hello, I am new here and recently moved into a house that has an above ground pool. Well the pool is 5' deep but the water level is only about 1' deep. The water is pretty nasty as well, couple of dead frogs and what looks like a squirrel carcass. My question I guess is how do I drain the little bit of remaining water? I have never had a pool and don't know much about them but I would like to empty this one, clean it and refill and try my hand at pool care. Thanks for any information/help offered!
    24' Round AGP - 13500
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix
    SWG
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain water that's only about 1' deep...

Get a leaf rake style net, and get as much junk out of the bottom as possible. Get a submersible pump and some hose for draining the remaining water. You can rent a pump, but some just get a fountain pump from the hardware store, and a nice long length of hose.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info.
    24' Round AGP - 13500
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix
    SWG
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like its salvageable. Are you going to put in a new liner and bring her back to life?
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Glock
    Looks like its salvageable. Are you going to put in a new liner and bring her back to life?

I would like to but I basically know nothing about pools. Is putting in a new liner something I should find a pro for? How much on average would that cost? Thanks again for all info.
    24' Round AGP - 13500
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix
    SWG
    Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

No, its easy to do with a couple of friends. If you want a pool and that one is already level, take advantage of it. The leveling is the hard part. A new liner will cost you a couple hundred. Providing there is not a huge amount of rust and the skimmer, pump, and filter are all in good shape, you have an excellent pool on your hands. Once you get the old liner out take pics and post them up. There are people here who can tell you what needs to be done after that based on the pics.

It might be a good idea to measure the distance to the water in there now to see how level it is. If its the same all the way around +/- 1-2" you should be good to go.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree with the sump pump to empty it but use the leaf rake to get the "big chunks" out first. they will come out easier that way. Then drain and remove the old liner. A new liner will give it new life. It looks alot like my old pool. Any idea what the diameter of it is?

By the way, welcome to TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the info/help so far. The diameter is 24' and depth is 4'. I was reading a bit about above ground liners and saw there are 3 different types. I will have to do a lot more reading. Do you have a suggested site for buying new liners? Thanks again!

One more question(for now anyways) How do I tell if the sand in the sand filter needs chaning?
    24' Round AGP - 13500
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix
    SWG
    Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

It most likely doesn't need changing. The only time it needs changing is if it's heavily calcified and that is very rare.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

If you going to replace liner then using a sump pump is a waste..Just dig out a little at bottom of pool&make a trinch&take a knife&cut a hole in it &let it drain..Just make sure you drain from a point where it doesn't back up in the pool area.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

My neighbor alway's take's a power washer & clean's her pool out every year.I tried to talk to her about it but she swear's on it..Each it's on..Good Luck..Hope can save the liner.But, then you maybe better to go ahead & change it out..You never know it could have a hole in it.Hate to fill'r up with water then it spring's a leak.Good luck
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

That liner looks pretty bad in the pic but it might not look as bad in person. I am a fix it before it breaks kinda person and would replace the liner for the new look but that is your call of course. I am not a good judge of the condition of the liner because I have not owned one long enough to make that call. However, if you chose to replace, here are a few links:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... liners.htm

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Liners/

http://www.h2opoolproducts.com/above-gr ... -5_82.html

There are some people here who are in the industry who might respond with better deals too. I have personal experience with H2o above and can say it was a great experience. Either way, good luck and we require lots of pics in order to maximize our enjoyment.