CYA Levels

As long you have a good grasp of the chemistry and how it works there really isn't any harm in experimenting with a higher CYA value and seeing if that cuts down on your chlorine consumption without any unwanted side affects. In hot sunny locations there's a case to be made for running higher CYA numbers - I personally run my pool quite a bit higher than the recommended values because it cuts down on summer time FC loss.

BUT - I'm comfortable with my pool and happy with the results. For the uninitiated this may very well be bad advice - hence it's not really given.

Worse case scenario is you find that you are constantly fighting a low level algae issue and you need to lower it again.

Higher CYA levels tend to work just fine for a while, and then cause major problems. Going up to 60 is certainly safe enough to experiment with, but I would be very cautious about trying out levels above that.

mpacheco72 said:
My CYA level is 50 and I've been adding about 96 ounces of clorox a day to my pool to keep it on the upper end of the FC level. My pool gets full sun from about 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day. Would raising my CYA to 60 be beneficial?

FWIW, I have the same size pool as you, with only about 75% as much sun. My CYA level is about 70 (not by choice, I was using the pucks before finding this site). I am still putting in 80-96 ozs of 6% bleach per day to maintain my levels...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.