Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to Run the Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

When to Run the Pump

I was unable to find a thread specific to the following question so if it has been addressed already my apologies.

When is the correct time of the day or night to introduce FC?

The two schools of though that seem to prevail are.
    1) Run the pump during the day to combat the FC loss due to sunlight.
    2) Run the pump at night to maximize FC efficiency.

Are there any variables that need to be considered?
    19790 US Gallons IG (75000 litres)
    Vinyl Liner
    16' x 32' kidney shape (kind of)
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida
    Are there any variables that need to be considered?

My suggestion would be to run the pump when it works best for you.

Do run it enough so your all your pool water passes thru ("turns over") thru at least twice daily and three causes no harm. For most folks, that's around 8-12 hours daily. Many folks split that run time into two or three periods.....I like that idea as well but that's your call.

Adjust the time accordingly as you get more and more familiar with your pool.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Tx
    personally, I add the FC at night, about 5-6 if I can, just as the sun has passed completely over the pool. I run the pump 1-2 hr after adding the chemicals. I then run my pump on a daily basis from 11am-5pm (the heat of the day) to keep water moving to reduce evaporation and have the chlorine affecting all of the water, so to prevent the bloom of algae.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Many folks split that run time into two or three periods.....I like that idea as well but that's your call.
    when I told my father in law I did that, he freaked out and said it was better to run all at one time, "he's been told". but what does he know, he still uses trichlor and told me that bleach was bad for pools....
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

4. Back To Top    #4
    South Carolina
    Hi Clearblue and Welcome to TFP.

Variables. Yep.

We have found that our pool stays perfect w/ 6 to 8 hours run time per day, split between morn and eve.

Also, we add our bleach as soon as the sun is off the pool and make sure to give at least an hour run time to insure a good mix.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Missouri City (suburb of Houston, TX)
    We run ours about 70% at night and 30% early morning.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

North of Dallas
    4 hours in the morn and 4 hours in the eve.... Think it's 6 - 10 then 4 to 8. Not sure that's the best but thats what I do.

salt is always on... lol
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

7. Back To Top    #7
    I run my filter 24/7. Probably overkill but we heat the water with a heat pump and right now it needs to run to get water to the heater. I may cut it back to about 18 hours a day when the water will stay warm in July/August. Also I think the filter has to be on for my slide and 3 deck jets to run. Anytime we are in the pool the kids always want these on. My Polaris won't run without the filter on either, some kind of programming interlock with my controls.
    ~39,000 gallon True L, 43x28x18, Steel Wall, Vinyl Liner; 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains, 3 returns, 1 dedicated cleaner line with Polaris booster pump; Polaris 280
    Hayward Pro Series 300 pound Sand Filter, Hayward Heat Pump 116K BTU
    2 Hayward Colorlogic LED Lights; Diving Board, X-Stream Slide, 3 Polaris Mini Jets; Step and Leisure Bench in deep end (SwimOut)
    Aqua Rite SWCG with Aqua Plus Automation and Controls (Goldline); Aqua Pod Remote for Controls and Aqua Logic Base Station

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Depends on how you add your chlorine to the pool... Do you have a salt chlorine generator, add bleach by hand, chemical erosion feeder, etc.? I would definitely be getting some chlorine into your pool during the day. Most, if not all, of the chlorine added overnight will burn off during the day without CYA. I have all of my clients pools running 9am-9pm unless they have an automatic cover they leave on most of the day.

9. Back To Top    #9
    I am running mine 24.7. My friends who have pools do the same.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal