Can't get chlorine in pool

Jun 23, 2012
I shocked the pool with 1 gallon of liquid chlorine today. After 3 hours no chlorine was registering in the test stick. I took my water and had it retested. She said the shock is supposed to disapear after it kills things and add two pucks to the skimmer basket. it has been 6 hours and still nothing. The reading from the pool store were:
FC .1ppm
tc .1ppm
cc 0
ph 7.6
hardness 100ppm
A 50ppm
ca 10 ppm

I added 1/2 container of calcium increaser. test stips 2 hours later read 200 ppm She said not to add the stabilizer because it did not need it. At this point I am not sure how to fix it.
Pool was installed on 6/21/2012
water was delivered on same day, electric was installed on friday and chemicals first added on Sat.
15x30 oval ab pool pool lady said that was 12,500 gallons of water
not sure about filter except it is a sand filter and it used 100lbs of sand.
Thanks for any help I am at a loss.

Welcome to TFP!

[shock:1jtgw20p]Adding 1 gallon of chlorine is not what we call shocking.[/shock:1jtgw20p]

If CA is cyanuric acid/stabilizer then your need to raise CYA to at least 30. If it isn't, do you know what your CYA level is?

Yes that is the Cyanuric Acid. So since I have not added any Should I go ahead and add the 4lbs I was told the first time to add before she changed her mind? Do I put that in a sock in the pool correct? Is it ok to add bleach after I put the chlorine pucks in eariler? Both are almost completly gone.

I recommend putting in about 2 lbs of CYA for the moment. That will raise CYA enough for shocking to be most effective. Then when things settle down, add the other 2 lbs.

You you can use both trichlor tablets and bleach in the same pool, just don't add them at the same moment, especially do not pour bleach onto trichlor tablets. If you add the bleach by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running you will be fine.

Thanks, I added the 2lbs tonight in the morning I will shock the pool the correct way. Lessons 1, pools store may not have any good answers. How long before we will be able to use the pool after I shock? Will fixing the chlorine level help with the alkalinity? Ph 7.6 but Alk was only 50. Thanks for the help ya'll have given me.

zeroturn said:
Lessons 1, pools store may not have any good answers

This is a strange, sad fact of life. But oh so true.....

As to your PH, ALK - If you are planning on following the advice here (ie. use a liquid form of chlorine) - there is probably no reason to worry about either at the moment. Once the pool has settled down - if you find your PH tends to sink, raising the TA will be helpful. If your PH tends to drift up (very likely) than a lower TA is preferred.

Either way your first order of business is to shock the pool properly. This wont affect either PH or TA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.