OK guys I'm new to the forum.
I have a 24 foot round 48" deep aboveground pool. I had the worst timing getting the pool opened this year. I have never covered the pool in the last 10 years. So I started with a green swamp. The first thing I did was get my filter going and took a water sample to the pool shop. Was told everything was in range just shock it. I got the pool to turn blue but would not hold chlorine. I hassled with the Ph getting a bit low over the time finally got the pool to hold chlorine using bleach. But was so cloudy that you could only see about a foot down. The pool shop told me to run my filter 24/7. Which I was doing most of the time anyway. I was also using a skimmer basket sock. I went camping over the long weekend and left the pool filter off for 3 days and came home to a clear pool. I vaced to waste and shocked. The next day we got in and it got cloudy. I have been having filter problems for a few years now ever sense I put a new bigger pump motor on. I must have went to big for the filter. So I got a new 300lb sand filter and hard plumed it in so I would not have to worry about the crappy flex hoses busting. The next day after putting on the new filter my pool was Crystal clear. So now that I am using liquid chlorine I am needing some help. I have been maintaining my chlorine by adding about a quart every 4-5 days. But I know I will need to shock at some point how much do I put in? How often do I do it? When I was using powered chlorine I shocked 1 time a week with a pound and used algaecide 1 time a week and that was it. Just looking for some help. Thanks
Also I had my water tested today
total hardness: 200
total chlorine: 3
free chlorine: 3
Total alkalinity: 140
cynauric asid: 150
Also what test kit do you all use?