Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oh No! Mustard Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Oh No! Mustard Algae?

My pool water is nice and clear - just gorgeous. However, yesterday I realized what I though were stains on the side of the pool are probably algae - I could rub some of it off with my thumb. It's not green (and the green algae cleared right up when I initially shocked the pool), so I'm afraid it might be mustard algae. Though my pool gets a lot of sun, it is found on the side that is shaded most of the day, and in some "rough" areas of the concrete. Here are some pics:

My numbers are:

FC - 4
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 100
    CH - 320
    CYA - 45

Thanks,

Kelley
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oh No! Mustard Algae?

That does sound/look like it could be MA. Have you read this pool school article?: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../mustard_algae

The first step is the normal shocking process.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Oh No! Mustard Algae?

Thanks, that's what I figured I'd have to do. Just wanted some verification that it probably was mustard algae.

Then, when that's done, I think I'll add borates.

Kelley
    Kelleyaynn
    21,000 gallon (+ or -) in-ground plaster pool with Nautilus DE filter, 1 hp pump, and Zodiac G4 automatic vacuum.