Pentair MasterTemp or Raypak

CRG_80cc

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2007
Nor-Cal
My old Teldyne-Laars XE (325K BTU) heater has finally bit the dust and was looking to replace it. Local pool repair suggested replacing it with a Pentair Mastertemp (250K BTU). Quote was $2500 for R&R of the old heater with the new one.

But was thinking of also the Raypak (Model: P-R266A, 266K BTU). Haven't got a quote on that but seems like reading around here that they seem like a good reputation.

I've heard the Pentair might be on loud side in terms of the fan; not sure if that is true. Just want to hear if you have either how it is.

The heater will be used 95% just to heat the spa (pool has solar). I currently have an old ComPool Cp3400 controller. I'm told the Pentair should be compatible but was unsure if the Raypak would be. Not a deal breaker if it isn't. Just looking for something reliable and will last.

Thanks!

I prefer the Raypak. Reason why is the cost of ownership. It has fewer parts and heats just like any other heater. All pool manufacturers quote a heaters life to be 5-7 years. Many last longer under the right conditions such as keeping your chemicals in check, if you have an in-ground sprinkler system make sure no heads are spraying on unit, and if it's by your roof overhang think about adding a gutter above it if you don't already have one.

I get the most service calls on Pentair and Sta-rite's.

Thanks ps0303. I asked them about the Raypak and the sales person was saying that there wasn't many sales on the west coast (mostly east coast brand) and may be harder to get parts thus would take longer to fix because of it. I didn't really believe any of that line considering Raypak is out of So. California :roll: . This was not the owner; so I will ask him about Raypak when I speak to him.

Tend to agree about Raypaks. Parts are pretty standard and easy to get. On the other hand pool guys are gun shy about them, since they are so heavily discounted on the internet.

Part of the issue with Raypak/Rheem, they don't make other pool products like Hayward, Sta-rite and others do so that is why many don't usually trust them. Many pool places/guys like to sell highly advertised name brands. They are a very good product and I find them more reliable than others. Parts are easily had here on the internet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.