Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: pool with some issues

  1. Back To Top    #1

    pool with some issues

    I bought a house with a pool already in place and stats should be in my signature, but I ran into an issue. I dont remember how it happened but somehow I had a pvc elbow close to the pump crack. I replaced it and while I had the plumbing apart I changed out the old gate valves for pvc ball valves. Now I have a decent amount of bubbles in the pump basket. Was this a mistake. They are ball valves from menards, nothing special.

    Would changing out the ball valves for a jandy valve and redoing the connections I made possible solve my issues. I'm new to the whole pool plumbing and is there anything different that I should do.
    16x32 vinyl inground, 21k, tagelus high rate sand filter, 3/4hp hayward pump, Madison Wisconsin

  2. Back To Top    #2

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,084

    Re: pool with some issues

    Welcome to the forum. I think your are on the right track. You have a suction side air leak somewhere between the pump and the skimmers and the likely suspect is that plumbing work....but not necessarily. It may also be more than one leak.

    You can usually track down the leaks and fix them without replacing the valves but the very best thing is to redo the whole thing with Jandy valves that will last and are repairable. (I originally did ball valves and over the years have put in all Jandy valves.)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: pool with some issues

    Thanks for the response. I only have 2 ball valves one for skimmer and one for the side inlet. Is there anything special that is needed when doing pvc connections? I plan on just redoing it from the part where I got involved. Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right because I don't want to do this again anytime soon, that and I'm running out of pipe before it gets under the pool surround. Or at least until i get a heater.


    One other thing. Should i get 2 jandy valves like in place of the ball valve or a 2 in 1 out? My current set up is 1 ball valve for the skimmer and 1 for the side inlet.

    and a good place to buy these online. The pool is currently down and Im scheduled to be out of town for the week so shipping isnt to big of a deal. Just would like to order them and have them before the weekend.
    16x32 vinyl inground, 21k, tagelus high rate sand filter, 3/4hp hayward pump, Madison Wisconsin

  4. Back To Top    #4

    In the Industry
    Qwaxalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    439

    Re: pool with some issues

    You've likely got a bad glue joint in your replumb. In the interest of being done with it, cut it all out and redo it with good valves (Jandy, Praher true union, or brass ball valves). Then go swimming and enjoy it.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: pool with some issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    You've likely got a bad glue joint in your replumb. In the interest of being done with it, cut it all out and redo it with good valves (Jandy, Praher true union, or brass ball valves). Then go swimming and enjoy it.

    Is there anything else to do them primer them and then glue?

    Thanks for the help so far.
    16x32 vinyl inground, 21k, tagelus high rate sand filter, 3/4hp hayward pump, Madison Wisconsin

  6. Back To Top    #6

    In the Industry
    Qwaxalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    439

    Re: pool with some issues

    A certain amount of expertise is required. Patience grasshopper, practice will win in the end.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    696

    Re: pool with some issues

    Quote Originally Posted by kmk7110
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    You've likely got a bad glue joint in your replumb. In the interest of being done with it, cut it all out and redo it with good valves (Jandy, Praher true union, or brass ball valves). Then go swimming and enjoy it.

    Is there anything else to do them primer them and then glue?

    Thanks for the help so far.
    Make sure you cut the PVC pipe carefully. If you are using a hacksaw or SawsAll, make sure to be careful not to leave partial cuts on the pipe near the ends. The PVC should be free of any abrasions near the weld site, since these would prevent an optimal fit. Debur the cut ends of PVC before gluing using some sandpaper on the edges only. Try not to sand the weld surface. Finally, primer both inside and outside surfaces, and then add glue to both surfaces. Force the two pieces together as far as they will go... you should be able to get the pipe to bump against the flange inside the connector. Twist about 1/4 turn if you can as this will help to seal the weld. I wait at least an hour before putting any pressure on the welds. Some wait much longer.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: pool with some issues

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW
    Quote Originally Posted by kmk7110
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    You've likely got a bad glue joint in your replumb. In the interest of being done with it, cut it all out and redo it with good valves (Jandy, Praher true union, or brass ball valves). Then go swimming and enjoy it.

    Is there anything else to do them primer them and then glue?

    Thanks for the help so far.
    Make sure you cut the PVC pipe carefully. If you are using a hacksaw or SawsAll, make sure to be careful not to leave partial cuts on the pipe near the ends. The PVC should be free of any abrasions near the weld site, since these would prevent an optimal fit. Debur the cut ends of PVC before gluing using some sandpaper on the edges only. Try not to sand the weld surface. Finally, primer both inside and outside surfaces, and then add glue to both surfaces. Force the two pieces together as far as they will go... you should be able to get the pipe to bump against the flange inside the connector. Twist about 1/4 turn if you can as this will help to seal the weld. I wait at least an hour before putting any pressure on the welds. Some wait much longer.

    Thank you sir. That could be part of the issue as well, I dont think i let it sit for more them maybe 30 minutes. Will let it sit overnight next time.
    16x32 vinyl inground, 21k, tagelus high rate sand filter, 3/4hp hayward pump, Madison Wisconsin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •