Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash Problem

I just did another backwash and thought I did this correct. This time all the DE filter media/powder that I put into the skimmer all came back into the pool through my returns? Do I need to worry about this? My pool is now a milky color because of all the DE media being in the pool. What do I need to do to fix this? Do I just have to wait until my filter cleans this up on it's own? Will I need to re add my DE media again? Thanks for the help.
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Backwash Problem

I am not familiar with DE, but with sand, you must "rinse" after backwashing before going into filter mode...could that be it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Duraleigh - I only have 2 options. Backwash or Filter (no rinse option).
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I should have remembered that. A DE member will come along and be much more help than I was.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Only two ways for that to happen I think.
    1 your grids are broken or something inside is not seated correctly.
    2 the o rings in the valve are leaking

Do you think out all went to the pool or just some? Not sure it is really possible for all of it to bypass the filter.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

By the amount that I have in the pool - I bet almost all of the media went in. I'm betting one of the grids inside the filter broke as you mentioned. Pool is still covered under warranty, but it will take the pool company at least 7 to 10 days to come out.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you want, open the filter up and take some pictures and forum members may be able to help.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

I won't be able to work on this for a week myself - I'm traveling. I will have to wait until the pool company fixes it. I was hoping it was something that could be done quickly.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

This is going to be a badly mangled grid or a totally bad backwash valve. Let the service company deal with it.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!