Borates and lower TA process. two birds with one stone?

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
I added salt about a month ago and really like the silky feel of the water. Can I add borates to the water even though I added salt? I am considering borates because I have turned into a real water snob. I just feel like my pool could sparkle a bit more. I try to keep the FC at the low end of recommended because it feels so drying to my skin after I get out and dry off. Because of this (maybe) the water just looks dull.

It sounds like putting in borates is basically the same as the process of lowering TA. Also, I am not really satisfied with how fast my pH keep raising. Does it make sense to go throughout the lowering TA process and adding borates at the same time. Is this killing two birds with one stone. Here are my numbers today.

In case it matters, I'm needing to add about 144 oz of bleach daily.

FC 5
pH7.7
TA 130
CYA 38

8corneflakes said:
Can I add borates to the water even though I added salt?
Yes.

8corneflakes said:
I try to keep the FC at the low end of recommended because it feels so drying to my skin after I get out and dry off. Because of this (maybe) the water just looks dull.
Try lowering your FC down to 7.4 (and holding it there) and see if the water does less drying. What is your CH level?

8corneflakes said:
Does it make sense to go throughout the lowering TA process and adding borates at the same time. Is this killing two birds with one stone.
No, lower TA first, then add the borates. TA will be hard to move once borates are added.

In case it matters, I'm needing to add about 144 oz of bleach daily.
I would raise the CYA to 50ppm, I think you'll see a difference that'll make it worth doing.

Also, if I remember, your pool is VERY active with a heavy swimmer load. Lack of chlorine in a pool like that will make it difficult for your water to sparkle. I would suggest running FC up on the VERY high side of normal when you have all that activity. If you increase the CYA to 50 and run your FC 6-7ppm, I don't think it will increase the "dryness" you experience and may help get the water much clearer.

this is interesting because I keep my chlorine at 3 (calculator says 3-7 is normal). I test it every night, to bring it up to 4 or 5 before bed. Then I let it drift back down to 3 while we swim. If it doesn't drift by evening, I make all the kids pee in it :wink: I do LOVE that you remember my pool activity...makes me feel special!

I was just concerneded that keeping the chlorine level above 7 would turn me into a lizard and reek future havoc on my liner. I am going to bring the cya level up and consistently use a higher bleach ppm and see if that helps because I do hate dealing with muriatic acid because I'm still learning.

We have a family (4 kids, 2 adults) who come to swim on the weekends and I'm desperately trying to keep up with their chlorine demand. Their kids swam all last saturday for 8 hours and NEVER got out to pee. After they left, it took almost 2 days and 20 gallons of bleach to clear the water. They are coming over tomorrow and I plan to have a frank conversation with the kids (just as I once had to do with my own) :roll: I know that keeping pee out of the pool is the 1st defense, but as a precaution, can I bring the water to shock before they come over? is ok to swim in shock level water?

8corneflakes said:
I was just concerneded that keeping the chlorine level above 7 would turn me into a lizard and reek future havoc on my liner. I am going to bring the cya level up and consistently use a higher bleach ppm and see if that helps because I do hate dealing with muriatic acid because I'm still learning.
That FC level should not be a problem for skin or liner. Ph reeks a lot more havoc on both than does reasonable FC levels (which 7 ppm is reasonable for your cya level).

8corneflakes said:
I know that keeping pee out of the pool is the 1st defense, but as a precaution, can I bring the water to shock before they come over? is ok to swim in shock level water?
Yes swimming up to shock level for you cya level is fine. When I know I am having a big party I usualy raise my FC up to about halfway betwen normal and shock level. Of course, most times I am not warned (or even at home) when it happens :rant:

can I bring the water to shock before they come over? is ok to swim in shock level water?
Yes and yes. Althoughj I would suggest a more even approach.

Probably an hour before they come, I would bring FC somewhere up around 10ppm rather than going all the way to shock value. Then if a couple of hours has passed, test the chlorine with the OTO chlorine test and if it matches 5ppm or less, put in a large jug of Clorox. In other words, keep up with the demand by testing frequently but not going to shock value where you will probably lose a lot of FC (although there is no harm in shock value other than that)

dear dave,

if i lived with you, I would ALWAYS let you know when I planned on having a pee...um I mean pool party! You're awesome! Plus, you are so dedicated to solving my problems. Remember waaaay back when I had a teeny AGP and you stuck with me through 16+ days of shocking at mustard algae level? Ahh, the memories :)

:lovetfp:

theresa

Some folks are more sensitive to Chlorine. Rather than tailor the pool you could tailor the individual. Make up some Chlorine neutralizer. They sell a ready made product but the active ingredient is just ascorbic acid. Grab an old spray bottle and mix up some distilled water and vitamin C and spritz yourself when you get out of the pool. Or if your not the Do It Yourself type, get the store bought stuff. :p :lol: :p

8corneflakes said:
Get out of town! I had no idea. I will do that as I am a do it yourself kind of gal! thanks for that info
I know. I followed your Pool dig. If you look up DIY in the dictionary, there's a picture of youse guys right next to the definition. :)

I got the idea to look into the store bought stuff after reading the threads here about iron stains and the Chlorine demand after ascorbic acid treatments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.