So here are my results of my very very milky white cloudy dull water :(
FC: 2
CC: .25
TC: 2.25
TA: 150
CH: 490
PH: 7.2
CYA: 50

What do I do first? I have about 3.5 gallons of Clorox 6% on hand. Going to Sam's in a minute to get more. How much should I buy? Anything else I need while I am out there?

Re: TF100 Arrived!!!! help!

Buy as much Clorox as you can conviently carry.....twenty big jugs isn't too much because you can always use it.

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. Follow that article to a T and your pool will clear up....it may take a few days so be very patient.

As you will read in the article. you must do everything possible to help your filter get out all the visible stuff. Brush, stir things up, vacuum, clean/backwash your filter.

Above all else keep your FC at shock level by constant replenishment....test and add at least 3 times daily to start.

It'll depend on how much "stuff" is in the pool to be oxidized and how well your filter works. Kinda impossible to say. A week or so seems standard - but could be a bit longer.

You'll know you are done when -

Your water is clear
Your CC is .5 or below
and you pass the overnight chlorine loss test.

So I will be adding Bleach until I get up to 20ppm. Once I get that reading, I am adding bleach to keep it there until I get (probably 3 times a day?) 1.clear water 2. CC below .5 and 3. pass the oclt. If I add bleach every hour tomorrow, Monday and Tues. Is it possible to have it done by then? I am leaving town on Wed. My husband will be here but at work most of the day. I don't want to do this only to have him only able to do it twice a day after Tuesday.....if that is going to mess it all up...

Jill, usually after the second day or so, the chlorine usage will really slow down and you can count on testing and adding twice daily and even once daily as the FC usage will slow down more and more.

As often as you can is best but life gets in the way so you have to compromise sometimes.

Your signature does not indicate what type of pool you have. If its not vinyl, you may want to test your fill water ch level and see if you are able to lower the ch eventually. Nothing to worry about or try to treat now unless one of the guru's indicates otherwise.

Dave-thank you for all of this info. It sounds like I will be ok to leave the pool to my husband on Wednesday......I am so excited to get this pool under control and am so thankful for this site!!!!! Thanks a million!

Brought pool to shock value Saturday after noon (20ppm) It did get to about 23 ppm for awhile. Lost 4 ppm overnight. Shocked all day yesterday, still cloudy, but greenish hue in deep end seems to be not so green this morning. Lost 4 ppms overnight again.
1. Is this slow of a process normal?
2. I've read one can add DE to a sand filter to help get the fine particles, can I do this even if I have Zeobrite in the filter? Should I do that?
3. Husband is getting antsy and wants to add a Floc and turn the pump off, bad idea?
4. How do I figure out how much bleach to add to bring up each ppm? Like if I only want to add 1 or 2 ppms, how do I know how much to measure? Also am I supposed to be adding it through out the entire pool or just near the skimmer?
5. Should I be vacuuming to waste? there is beige stuff alll over the bottom of the shallow. After a few minutes of vaccuuming it it starts to shoot out of the jets. Also I can not see the deep end so I'm vacuuming blind basically, who knows what is looks like down there......
6. With the leak in the underground water pipe, am I just wasting my time? The previous owners did have it clear with the leak last summer and it was clear when we opened her up this spring. Husband will fix it as soon as he can.

Ugh. Getting so frusterated and I am afraid that the pool is just never going to get better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

All of the advice given is assuming the integrity of the pool plumbing/filter/pump etc. is intact. If you have issues that are causing the water to not be cleaned properly or foreign matter being introduced via leaking pipes etc. than you are likely fighting a losing battle.

You need to confirm that everything is functioning properly before any water balancing will have any lasting effect on creating a sparkling clear pool. You may have to hire a professional to evaluate the equipment if you don't understand it well enough. Or at least post pictures and ask here, it really isn't that hard to understand, you just need to make sure that everything is doing it's job properly, I am not convinced at the moment.

Why are you not convinced, is it because it hasn't shown much improvement and it should be? My husband can not redo the pipe until we get a little money in a few weeks. I can't just let the pool go. I need to continue to take care of it until he can fix the pipe......

It depends somewhat on where the leak is, but basically if dirt or contaminants are getting pulled into the pool via the plumbing system and/or the filtration isn't working right, than water chemistry possibly won't be enough to win your battle. I don't know this is the case, I am just pointing out that this is a possibility.

1 It can take a while...especially if your not following EVERYTHING in the POOL SCHOOL exactly....AND you have other negativly impacting factor..eg broken pipe
2 No you don't need DE in filter
3 You can and a clarifier with the filter running, but you'll be wasting your time if the water is continually be contaminated.
4 Again POOL SCHOOL and POOL CALCULATOR...you most know this stuff cold....
5 Again you may be wasting your time if the pool is contaminated by broken pipe. That aside you can vacuum then back wash or vacuum to waste.
what do you mean exactly when you mean "water pipe" ? is it one of the pools drain or return pipes...or do you mean your house water...pipe. Is the pipe easily accessible

Things are looking up this morning. OCLT passed, as did my CC test BUT we are still very cloudy. So continuing to shock. My question is....My TA was 170 and Ph 7.5 this morning. So they are both creeping up. What should I do about those?

Jill said:
Things are looking up this morning. OCLT passed, as did my CC test BUT we are still very cloudy. So continuing to shock. My question is....My TA was 170 and Ph 7.5 this morning. So they are both creeping up. What should I do about those?
Congrats on that OCLT!

Leave TA and pH alone until you are done shocking. Testing pH while FC is higher than 10 can skew the test to read a false high. If, however, the FC drops below 10 during the process, you can retest/adjust pH at that time if needed.

Do you have more than 1 skimmer? Are your "bottom drains" mounted on the side of the pool?

You all think that you will have to cut up the concrete deck to repair the pipe, is that what you are talking about?

Temporarily you could run a pipe over the concrete and down into the pool, you'd loose that one skimmer however.

So, if you have passed one OCLT, keep an eye on your CL level but focus on cleaning the dead stuff out of the water. If you have debris on the bottom of the pool that you can vacuum out, this will make the water clear faster. If you can vacuum to waste, that's great (you will to add water to replace) or you can vacuum to the filter but your filter will plug up faster and require more backwashing.

harleysilo said:
Do you have more than 1 skimmer? Are your "bottom drains" mounted on the side of the pool?

You all think that you will have to cut up the concrete deck to repair the pipe, is that what you are talking about?

Temporarily you could run a pipe over the concrete and down into the pool, you'd loose that one skimmer however.

No, we have one skimmer and NO bottom drain and 2 jets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.