Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward pump comparison

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward pump comparison

I currently have a Hayward super pump 3/4 horse. It has gone to the land of pumps in the sky. I have access to a free Hayward power pump 1.5 horse from my uncles old AG pool. Will this work with my IG pool or do I need to buy a new pump?
    20K Gallons, IG, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter
    Pump size and flow rate to follow

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward pump comparison

Assuming that free pump will run - it will work, although it is a bit oversized for your application. I would check on on what model pump that is - some pumps specifically for above ground pools require that the pump to be below the water level of the skimmer. If the pump is an inground model (SuperPump) - no problem. Above ground pump (PowerFlo LX) - not so great. If you can get the model of the free pump - we can give you a better answer.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward pump comparison

It's a power flo. [attachment=0:3athhhbq]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340465370.521872.jpg[/attachment:3athhhbq]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Hayward pump comparison

Hayward marketed that pump as an above ground pump (predecessor of the PowerFlo LX) - if the pump is below your water level - that should work OK - if your pump is above the pool - I'd get another one. Something like your dead Superpump (3/4 HP).

The difference here is that aboveground pumps have gravity to help prime them, while an inground pump is self-priming (well, after you fill the strainer to get the seals to work).
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Hayward pump comparison

Makes sense. Thanks!!
    DE Filter