Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: borax via skimmer

borax via skimmer

bad idea or not? how about boric acid?
    L-shaped | 27K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Borated

Re: borax via skimmer

Very simple just had everything straight to the pool water..I just pour mine straight from the return so it get's spread out into the pool.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Updated to Hayworth S-180 T sand filter 2003,,BBB method started in may2010,,TF-100

Senior Member In the Industry

Anything can be introduced into the pool via the skimmer. It simply depends on how fast you add it. Plopping 20 lbs of Borax all at once in a big glop is a no-no. Putting it in slowly so it doesn't clog up the skimmer is just fine.

In some ways, the skimmer is better than allowing some things to settle to the pool floor.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Anything can be introduced into the pool via the skimmer. It simply depends on how fast you add it. Plopping 20 lbs of Borax all at once in a big glop is a no-no. Putting it in slowly so it doesn't clog up the skimmer is just fine.

In some ways, the skimmer is better than allowing some things to settle to the pool floor.
    that's exactly what i was thinking. thank you.
    L-shaped | 27K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Borated

And conversely adding some things to the skimmer, especially too quickly can cause trouble. Remember that there is a long pipe and also pump/motor attached at the other end of the skimmer.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

Adding to skimmer..I have to agree..I think you get a quicker chemical response adding it straight to the water itself at the return.Anything you put down the skimmer has to be filter'd so it take's away from the chemical add itself.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Updated to Hayworth S-180 T sand filter 2003,,BBB method started in may2010,,TF-100

I add mine slowly to the skimmer, no problems.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list