Engineering Aspect of Setting Up an Unlevel AGP

Jun 20, 2012
I recently ordered our first INTEX Ultra Frame 18x52 pool that should be arriving next week, and we are very excited to get it setup. Being a mechanical engineer, I decided to create a 3D model of the pool to design a fence for the top, as our city code requires the encloser to be at least 5 feet including the pool side wall. Since I had already created the model, I decided to investigate the effects the horrific consequences of setting up a pool on an unlevel surface from an engineering perspective.

Luckily, we have an area in our backyard that is completely flat, so I don't anticipate any issues. However, I recall reading in our local paper last summer that a pool collapsed from being unlevel, which I suspect is more common that people realize. No one was hurt, but their next door neighbors basement was partially flooded.

I was amazed at the huge effect that was caused by only a couple of degrees of unlevelness. It is not uncommon for a backyard to have a slope of anywhere between 3-6 inches per 10 feet, depending on where you live, to aid in draining water from the foundation.
[attachment=2:1bn9w02t]8.jpg[/attachment:1bn9w02t]
[attachment=1:1bn9w02t]5.jpg[/attachment:1bn9w02t]
[attachment=0:1bn9w02t]4.jpg[/attachment:1bn9w02t]

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 151
There is a pool in a neighboring town that looks just like the last pic! I would not let one of my kids near that thing, let alone swim in it! Omg! It's bad!!!!

Welcome to tfp, RicerAmerica1 :wave:

Yay MechE!

Crazy how it looks, isn't it? Most pools wouldn't even come close to your second illustration (not to mention your third) before failure due to the legs on the low side starting to cant outwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.