Intex sand filter pump overheating

Jun 22, 2012
Hi folks. New to the pool world here. Live in Denison, TX, about an hour north of Dallas. Bought an Intex 18x48 w. saltwater system a few weeks ago, set it up and loved it. Today I upgraded to an Intex sand filter and pump. So here's the deal. The pump works for about 2 hours, then shuts off and is very hot. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

If it's really hot, it sounds like the thermal switch is kicking in and shutting you down.

I'm not familiar with the intex sand filter and pump, but I looked at a picture. Looks close enough to a normal pump. Check the pump vanes for any obstructions. Since its running for two hours, it might be something slightly jamming it making the motor heat up over time.

But then again, you might just have a bad pump. You just got it? Can you exchange it for another one?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

If you're using a 10, 12, or 14 guage extension cord (and personally - I would prefer 10 or 12 guage) - that's probably not the problem. I would want to keep the run as short as possible, with as heavy duty extension cord as possible for best results.

I bought a "heavy duty" cord - but it turns out it was 16. Going to buy a 12 and see what happens...it's about 100 feet away, which is awful, but next week I'm having a guy come run 110 and 220 out to the pool area for the eventuality of a deck and hot tub, so if I can get the 12 to work til then I'm good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tator - turns out I had a 16 gauge cord (which Walmart sold as "heavy duty")...I got a 12 gauge from Lowes - the pool is far away from the house, so I had to do 100 feet cord (yikes!), and it cost $90. But it solved the problem until I can get wiring out there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.