Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex sand filter pump overheating

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex sand filter pump overheating

Hi folks. New to the pool world here. Live in Denison, TX, about an hour north of Dallas. Bought an Intex 18x48 w. saltwater system a few weeks ago, set it up and loved it. Today I upgraded to an Intex sand filter and pump. So here's the deal. The pump works for about 2 hours, then shuts off and is very hot. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex sand filter pump overheating

This may be a dumb question, but never hurts to ask. The timer isn't set on 2 hours is it?
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

3. Back To Top    #3

If it's really hot, it sounds like the thermal switch is kicking in and shutting you down.

I'm not familiar with the intex sand filter and pump, but I looked at a picture. Looks close enough to a normal pump. Check the pump vanes for any obstructions. Since its running for two hours, it might be something slightly jamming it making the motor heat up over time.

But then again, you might just have a bad pump. You just got it? Can you exchange it for another one?

Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

4. Back To Top    #4

No, the pumps not set for two hours...my son said he thought it could be the extension cord not being heavy enough. Is that possible?

5. Back To Top    #5

If you're using a 10, 12, or 14 guage extension cord (and personally - I would prefer 10 or 12 guage) - that's probably not the problem. I would want to keep the run as short as possible, with as heavy duty extension cord as possible for best results.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought a "heavy duty" cord - but it turns out it was 16. Going to buy a 12 and see what happens...it's about 100 feet away, which is awful, but next week I'm having a guy come run 110 and 220 out to the pool area for the eventuality of a deck and hot tub, so if I can get the 12 to work til then I'm good.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would say your son could be right in this case - It is certainly worth trying for $50-$150 for the heavier extension cord.

There still could be other problems with your pump, however.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Any luck ?

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for asking, scooperhsd, I JUST got back from town with the new cord and started the pump...I'll update you later. Crossing my fingers.

10. Back To Top    #10

YIPPEE!!! The stronger extension cord was all it took! No more overheating. I've got a guy coming soon to run some "real" wiring out to the pool. Thanks, everyone, for your help.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you for posting this. We are having the same problem and were getting very frustrated! I will switch cords, and see if we can do better!

12. Back To Top    #12

Tator - turns out I had a 16 gauge cord (which Walmart sold as "heavy duty")...I got a 12 gauge from Lowes - the pool is far away from the house, so I had to do 100 feet cord (yikes!), and it cost $90. But it solved the problem until I can get wiring out there.

13. Back To Top    #13

Good news - I guess your son was right

14. Back To Top    #14

I got a new cord (12) today thought it was working, but we're still shutting off. UGH- very frustrated!