Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Night swimming and bats

Night swimming and bats

We had this problem last summer and already, I have noticed again this spring that when the underwater pool light is on bats seem to be attracted to the pool. I know that they are probably just feeding on mosquitos and maybe they see them above the pool with the light on. I am not personally scared of the bats but my girlfriend and others are spooked as the bats fly real low, sometimes within inches of your head. Does anybody else have this problem with night swimming, and is there anything that you can do to scare the bats off, other that turning the light out?
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

I'm actually thinking about putting some bat houses up at my place. Send'em over to me!
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

We have bats that seem to enjoy our pool light. We usually look forward to their arrival because our mosquito problem disappears within a few days.

When my children would have friends over they would be sort of spooked for a while but they got used to it.
    20k inground, Heyward Sand Filter, Compupool Salt Generator, Blue Pearl Robotic Cleaner

I thought bats were blind? We have some during the summer months that dive bomb the pool looking for bugs and do it if the light is on or off.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

Yep, we've got that, too. We've come to the conclusion that they may be drinking the water; they actually hit it sometimes.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Same here. Doesn't bother me but my wife hates it. I just noticed our first bat this year. They were roosting in one of my gable vents last year, great for getting rid of bugs but pretty nasty for the attic. I put screen on the outside of the vent, hopefully they will find somewhere else close to roost.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

Member In the Industry

I dont think the problem is the light. Bats are mostly blind and dont like the light. It is probably just the bugs as they are attracted to the water and the light. Turning the light on attracts bugs which attracts the bats. Feel blessed that you have bats to eat all the bugs.

clap your hands no seriously me and kids went home to aussie so they could see granny she lives in the bush and we all had to march around clapping our hands to get them out of the house freaked the kids out until they got used to them Hilarious they are harmless and benefical and never bump into you they only eat insects not blood :P
    GONE BATTY Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

Senior Member In the Industry

Re: Night swimming and bats

Quote Originally Posted by budysr
    We had this problem last summer and already, I have noticed again this spring that when the underwater pool light is on bats seem to be attracted to the pool. I know that they are probably just feeding on mosquitos and maybe they see them above the pool with the light on. I am not personally scared of the bats but my girlfriend and others are spooked as the bats fly real low, sometimes within inches of your head. Does anybody else have this problem with night swimming, and is there anything that you can do to scare the bats off, other that turning the light out?
    Floating in the pool, looking up at a starry night, and watching bats fly around is cool. Embrace it.
    16x32 Concrete IG, 20+ years old and going strong
    Equipment: DE Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Solar Panels, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite SWG
    Automation: Pentair Suntouch controller w/solar valve
    Cleaners: Polaris 280 (replaced an Aquabot)

What I thought was an unusal birdhouse about 20 feet up a tree near our pool turns out to be a bat house. Also, I found two more on the property I hadn't seen before. The previous owner put them up to keep down the insect population near the pool. Now I don't have to run the bug zapper!
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

We have bats just about every night we are out in the pool and we love our bats! They fly very close to the water but never hit us in the head--veering away at the last second. Here in Illinois all 12 bat species are protected. It is unlawful to kill them.

And just last week the hummingbirds have returned during the day. My wife plants cana flowers around the pool each spring and the hummingbirds love them. They are amazing to watch. I have to remember to breathe when I am watching one.
    12,000 gallon IG vinyl pool, 1 HP pump, sand filter, TF-100 test kit, Raypak heater. Converted from Bacqa June 2011. Trouble Free ever since.

We had a dead bat in a skimmer this season . We see them, but they are fairly high usually. We put a red cover over the light to reduce the bug dive bombers and it seems to reduce the bugs greatly. Got it at Leslies.
    20x40 inground, fiberglass 3 foot down then vinyl.
    33,000 gal
    BBB
    1.95HP Hayward Super II pump
    Sta-Rite System 3 DE 37 sq ft
    Jandy Lite 2 400 Natural Gas heater.

We have bats every night. We look forward to them coming out. First the purple martins come over, then the dragonflies, then the bats. One of my border collies loves to chase them. When dusk starts to fall, she's ready to go to the pool. You say the word "Bat" around dusk and she goes crazy.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II T100 Sand Filter, CompuPool CPCS48 SWG, Borates at 50 ppm, TF-100 test kit

They won't bother anyone. Only downside is if they're roosting ON your house. I have had 8 of them for years, all tucked away between the deck and the house. When they wake up in the spring, they need to poop. A LOT. Sometimes I feel like my deck is nothing more than a hamster cage. Beats a ton of mosquitoes, though.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

Yay for bats! We don't have any at the house, but they do live around here. Love watching them fly around!
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 hp pump
    Baracuda wahoo automatic cleaner
    Pool blaster catfish battery operated cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by gkruske
    They won't bother anyone. Only downside is if they're roosting ON your house. I have had 8 of them for years, all tucked away between the deck and the house. When they wake up in the spring, they need to poop. A LOT. Sometimes I feel like my deck is nothing more than a hamster cage. Beats a ton of mosquitoes, though.

There's a big business for bat guano. Bag it and sell it on ebay!
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyhead
    Quote Originally Posted by gkruske

There's a big business for bat guano. Bag it and sell it on ebay!
    You are correct. I suppose if I let it all pile up over the summer, then I might have a slight cash crop. Not sure what the wife would think about me harvesting poop.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon