got the neighbor to switch teams!

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
My neighbor has been subjected to pool schooling over and over again and has asked my help in getting his pool sparkling. Here's the facts

Filled his pool with VERY hard iron water. Right now his pool is orange/brown. here are the numbers,
He has an index 7600 gallon pool.

FC-0
pH 8.2+
TA 350
CYA 0

I know he has to start with getting the cya to about 40 and I can help with that.
I know his pH needs to be lowered to 7 so he can get the TA lowered too.
I know that he needs to begin and complete the shocking process.
I DO NOT know what to do about the iron as I do not have iron.

Just want to make sure I give him the correct advice so he won't feel compelled to run back to the pool store with his tail between his legs.

Advise if this is the wrong plan:
lower pH to 7 with 106 oz muriatic acid
add 42 oz stabilizer
start shocking when pH is in a better place.

between the time it took me to run the numbers and help him with a plan, he had poured in a bottle of bioguard lo 'n slow :( to lower the pH. I'm not sure what's in it or how it works. guess it is dry acid, I'm just not sure what else might be in it.

I am tired, so please forgive me if I mess this up. If his current PH is around 8.2 (could be higher) and he plans on adding the CYA wouldn't that drop his PH to right around 7.4ish? If it's down to 7ish now, wouldn't adding the CYA drop it well into the 6's?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well all-be. Learned something new. I always thought that the CYA lowered the PH quickly.

Thanks for teaching me something new today Linen. :cheers:

I feel as if the people answering this thread have suddenly decided to speak german, which I do not know! Since it is late, I am going to go to bed and then re-read the last four posts in the morning. All this was over my head, but I am willing to learn. :lol:

He is probably loading up his pool with pucks and algaecide while I sleep. :? Oh well, at least my pool is swimmable...plus, I mastered the back flip off the diving board today :whoot:

theresa

duraleigh said:
got the neighbor to switch teams!
That's a Seinfeld episode if I've ever heard one!! (Not that there's anything wrong with it) (Sorry...too much time on my hands :oops: :oops: )

gotta LOVE Seinfeld! I did think of that when I wrote it. I couldn't resist since I browse the 'recent announcements' for funny subject headings.

But I suspect that Ike is right and he may be giving me lip service. You can lead a horse to water, but you just can't make him drink it. Pun intended.

I feel as if the people answering this thread have suddenly decided to speak german,
One of the biggest challenges we have on the forum is not adhering to the K.I.S.S. principle.

Because we know so much detail and exceptions to the general rules, we all tend to be overly detailed to the point of getting the thread sidetracked.

There has been discussion about changing the name of our methods from BBB (to something like K.I.S.S.) in order to emphasize what we really teach and how we must all communicate on the same level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.