Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: got the neighbor to switch teams!

1. Back To Top    #1

got the neighbor to switch teams!

My neighbor has been subjected to pool schooling over and over again and has asked my help in getting his pool sparkling. Here's the facts

Filled his pool with VERY hard iron water. Right now his pool is orange/brown. here are the numbers,
    He has an index 7600 gallon pool.

FC-0
    pH 8.2+
    TA 350
    CYA 0

I know he has to start with getting the cya to about 40 and I can help with that.
    I know his pH needs to be lowered to 7 so he can get the TA lowered too.
    I know that he needs to begin and complete the shocking process.
    I DO NOT know what to do about the iron as I do not have iron.

Just want to make sure I give him the correct advice so he won't feel compelled to run back to the pool store with his tail between his legs.

Advise if this is the wrong plan:
    lower pH to 7 with 106 oz muriatic acid
    add 42 oz stabilizer
    start shocking when pH is in a better place.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: got the neighbor to switch teams!

That all sounds reasonable. If they are lucky the shock process will cause the iron to clump and it can get filtered out. That isn't reliable, so they will also need some sequestrant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

between the time it took me to run the numbers and help him with a plan, he had poured in a bottle of bioguard lo 'n slow to lower the pH. I'm not sure what's in it or how it works. guess it is dry acid, I'm just not sure what else might be in it.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

It works fine, just adds a little sulfate to the pool. Long term it is better to use Muriatic Acid.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the quick reply.
    Theresa and/or Gary

6. Back To Top    #6

lo 'n slow is indeed regular dry acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Hopefully he will not pour anything worse into his pool, just let this be a warning sign to you that he may not really be ready for BBB

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

That's a Seinfeld episode if I've ever heard one!! (Not that there's anything wrong with it) (Sorry...too much time on my hands )
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I am tired, so please forgive me if I mess this up. If his current PH is around 8.2 (could be higher) and he plans on adding the CYA wouldn't that drop his PH to right around 7.4ish? If it's down to 7ish now, wouldn't adding the CYA drop it well into the 6's?

10. Back To Top    #10

The ph change from the cya will be slow, however with TA as high as it is, the ph rise will be faster.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well all-be. Learned something new. I always thought that the CYA lowered the PH quickly.

Thanks for teaching me something new today Linen.

12. Back To Top    #12

The only reason it is slow is that it takes a long time to go into solution. Because it's a small change and slow, we don't tend to focus on it's ph effect here.

13. Back To Top    #13

I feel as if the people answering this thread have suddenly decided to speak german, which I do not know! Since it is late, I am going to go to bed and then re-read the last four posts in the morning. All this was over my head, but I am willing to learn.

He is probably loading up his pool with pucks and algaecide while I sleep. Oh well, at least my pool is swimmable...plus, I mastered the back flip off the diving board today

theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    That's a Seinfeld episode if I've ever heard one!! (Not that there's anything wrong with it) (Sorry...too much time on my hands )
    gotta LOVE Seinfeld! I did think of that when I wrote it. I couldn't resist since I browse the 'recent announcements' for funny subject headings.

But I suspect that Ike is right and he may be giving me lip service. You can lead a horse to water, but you just can't make him drink it. Pun intended.
    Theresa and/or Gary

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I feel as if the people answering this thread have suddenly decided to speak german,
    One of the biggest challenges we have on the forum is not adhering to the K.I.S.S. principle.

Because we know so much detail and exceptions to the general rules, we all tend to be overly detailed to the point of getting the thread sidetracked.

There has been discussion about changing the name of our methods from BBB (to something like K.I.S.S.) in order to emphasize what we really teach and how we must all communicate on the same level.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Being one to the K.I.S.S. violators, I will apologize and give myself 10 lashes for each violation...1,2,3...20

17. Back To Top    #17

I've rested up and now I'm glad everyone got so 'in depth' about this topic. It never hurts to learn something new.
    Theresa and/or Gary