Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Need Advice on pool pumps

Need Advice on pool pumps

I have a 16x 32 Doughboy pool (above ground). Had for past 12 years. I have only had to replace the liner. The pump or power pak is making loud sound and really don't have pressure to clean pool anymore. I am thinking that I need a new pump. Have 1hp motor. Must I replace with same kind or does anyone recommend a particular one???????? Need any advice. Do you know any online pool suppplies to buy such recommendations??? Thanks!! Tara

Re: Need Advice on pool pumps

You don't need to get the exact same pump.
    What filter do you have?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Re: Need Advice on pool pumps

You PROBABLY don't need a 1 HP pump, if you are replacing the entire pump. If you want to replace just the electric motor, then yes, you would need to replace the motor with the same model (or slightly larger HP, same dimensions). Just make sure that your replacement pump / motor is setup to use the same voltage as your old pump (probably 120V for an above ground pool).

If you are looking for a new pump - the Pentair Dynamos are popular around here - something in the 3/4 HP class should serve your needs quite adequately, as would a 1 HP. But I wouldn't go any larger than 1 HP.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Nature2 Express , Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter