Any difference in bleach?

Mar 6, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I can get Clorox for 1.99 per gallon, but the save brand stuff is 1.45 from the grocery store. Is there any difference to this stuff other than packaging? They both say they contain 6% sodium hypochlorite, but I want to be sure I'm safe to switch to the cheap stuff

Usually the off brands are fine. Some of them occasionally have excess lye, which can raise the PH a little over time, but that is fairly rare. The only significant thing to watch out for is bottles that have been sitting around for a long time. Bleach loses strength over time, but it takes many months before that becomes significant.

thepiratemorgan said:
I switched from Aldi's Brand (Tundra) to WalMart Brand (Great Value) because the GV stuff seemed to hold the FC better even though both list 6%. But I have no scientific proof to that statement.... just my two cents.
Here to..I've alway's used Great Value..Switch'd last year & tried Aldi..Started having problem's.Just stick with what work's

I had similar issues with Aldi's would only raise the FC 1/3 of what the great value would. Also bought some of the 15% from Menards called super shock the first thing that made me suspicious was there was no seal on the bottle only the cap. It had no odor to it at all. I added 2 gallons to the pool and it raised the FC by 2. That stuff wasn't worth the $4 a gallon buy one get one free. Like the old saying you get what you pay for.

x2rider said:
The 182 oz jugs at dollar general have the same markings on the jug as wm GV brand, so in case your wm is out, that gives you another source.

Wish I saw this before last night. WM was out of GV and I had to spend a whole extra $0.50 per bottle for Chlorox !!!! Ugggghhhh !!! LOL
Well, I'll keep that in mind next run ... thanks !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I noticed the same thing this year with aldi bleach, just didn't seem to hold the fc like the other brands so I also switched
I either use Walmart bleach gv or the 12.5% bleach from the pool store, our local pool store sells 4 gallon cases of 12.5% for 9.99
The great escape and American sales in our area runs the special pretty much all season

The Walmarts here sell 10% pool stuff for 6.48 for two gallons in a box, the GV 182oz for 2.98 each, & the Clorox in a range of sizes. IIRC the pool stuff is cheapest when comparing effective Cl per ounce but when they are out of the HTH pool sanitizer I just get two big GV. I have not had to look at a third option.

Home Depot sells the KemTek 10% for almost the same price as WMs HTH 10%. If I am there for other projects, I might get it.

On that note, beware the Muriatic Acid at HD, they sell two kinds here for almost the same price but only one is the 34 .baume.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.